The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Old totara fence posts and a stump on one of the high ridges of Banks Peninsula, NZ. These dense, natural totara forests were felled when European settlers established farms in the late 1800's, with some of the wood used for fencing, but much was simply burned. GFX 100s, F-Universalis and...
  2. J

Your favourite “bang for the buck” lenses

Rob, the curvature that you describe for the Nikkor 65 sounds very like the curvature exhibited by a Zeiss ZM Distagon 35mm F/1.4 that I used to use on a Sony A7R2. In that case, the general consensus in the user community was that introduction of the sensor cover glass into the optical system...
  3. J

Rob, I wonder if the experience that you've gained in improving the performance of your Apo-Digitar 35mm by using shims to adjust the distance between the front and rear cells might have also helped resolved the issue that you had with the Nikkor-SW 65 that you tried and found wanting? -John
  4. J

Two great images above - so much for the view that only digital-specific lenses will work well on digital backs! I followed the link to Flickr and checked yours out full size, Warren - impressive optics, but also lovely subtlety in your processing of tones. -John
  5. J

Earlier in this thread I described my experience with a Fujinon A 180mm F/9 that I bought to become part of a set of lightweight back-packing lenses to use with my GFX and Universalis. While I have found it to be a great performer at closer distances, I had frequent experiences of soft...
  6. J

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

This is one from 50 years back when I worked in New Zealand's central North Island podocarp forests, researching the impacts of logging on vulnerable native bird species. These dense forests of trees 500-800 years old grew on volcanic surfaces erupted 1800 years ago from Lake Taupo, and the then...
  7. J

Technical Camera Images

Impressive images - can I take it that these all use an LCC to correct for illumination and colour cast? -John
  8. J

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88° on GFX

Truly Rob deLoe, your ingenuity knows no bounds, and this last detail of the extractions and subsequent rebuild takes the cake. As the French would say - Chapeau! John L.
  9. J

Performance of SK Super Angulon 47mm F/5.6 or 58mm F/5.6 XL on GFX 50SII

Thanks for that info. From what I could find, your Technikon 58mm is likely to be an earlier version of the grandagon 58? Aside from the need to use an LCC, are you happy with the sharpness of it on your Canon R8? I've also looked at a Sinaron 55/4.5 (Grandagon) that is for sale in a local...
  10. J

Fun with MF images 2024

A 3-image portrait stitch handheld with a Mamiya RZ 110mm on GFX 50Sii in the upper Clarence Valley, a favourite fishing haunt of mine 50 years ago when I worked a university summer vacation at the NZ Forest Service station at Hanmer Springs. The river normally carries more flow than this, but...
  11. J

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Digitar 35mm f/5.6 L-88° on GFX

I'm not so sure on that one as the 1995 SA brochure that I have lists the XL and non-XL versions as having markedly different weights and dimensions. For example, the rear element on the XL is nearly 20mm larger in diameter than the non-XL version, and the XL version is around 40% heavier. It...
  12. J

Performance of SK Super Angulon 47mm F/5.6 or 58mm F/5.6 XL on GFX 50SII

Encouraged by my own experience with a recently purchased lightweight Fujinon EX 180/9 on my Universalis-GFX 50SII kit, I've been considering options at shorter focal lengths that would provide an easier carry than my 900 gm Mamiya RZ 50mm. The latter provides great performance along with...
  13. J

Now that I've got a longer bellows extension (post above), I've been able to more fully explore the closeup performance of the Mamiya RZ Macro 140mm M/L-A that I purchased for US$200. This has to be some of the best money that I've spent on a legacy lens, its manually adjusted floating element...
  14. J

Warren, your experience with the Nikkor M 200/8 is very similar to what I've just been through. I looked long and hard at these, but opted instead for a Fujinon A 180/9, which Fuji described as a Super Apochromat and cost me just under US$400. I would have gone with the Nikkor if I had also been...
  15. J

Inspired by your experience, Matt, I decided that I'd better check to see whether there was an RZ equivalent of your M645 50mm shift lens. It seems that for the RZ there was both a shift 75mm and a short-barrel 75mm with the same optical configuration, but designed to be used with a tilt-shift...
  16. J

Some interesting options still coming out of the woodwork. I've been distracted by family matters, but managed to take time out to buy a small 180mm of excellent reputation to round out my lightweight Universalis kit. It's on the way, and I'll report idc... John
  17. J

Looks like they do a good job of capturing that slightly wild-eyed, harassed look - don't point that thing at me! -John
  18. J

You might have missed an option that I mentioned in my earlier post to this thread. Here's a single image taken with an Arsat 30mm fisheye, tidied up a bit from when I first posted it. This lens was designed to cover 6x6 so with a P645 adapter onto my Universalis, it gives me generous room for...
  19. J

Sorry guys, I missed one. Since doing my blog article, I've bought another RZ - an ApoSekor 350mm for which I paid US$369. It fares very well in a head to head test with my Fujinon GF250, and also plays every nicely with my GF 1.4TC, giving me a high performing combo of nearly 500mm. It's too...
  20. J

What a great thread, Rob - I missed its arrival because I was out shooting until late yesterday... I can second what Rob says about the Fujinon EX's. As my blog describes, I'm a big fan of the Mamiya RZ's on my Universalis/GFX 50SII, but their downside is their weight, particularly when you're...