The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by DrakeJ

1. D

Phase One - X1D - GFX

Regarding speed of an EVF and the 100mpix sensor, an EVF is not required to show the entire resolution so I'd assume you can apply some trickery to get lower resolution out of the sensor with much greater speed.
  2. D

First experience with AFr (focus recompose) for Phase One XF

Thanks for the compliment, debabrata.ray! Considering your nice words, I probably need to update the feed soon ;) The reason for me going Phase One was mostly Capture One. Hasselblad need to put down some serious efforts into Phocus to get it up to par. As for the AFr-feature, I opened a case...
  3. D

Focus Trim on Phase One XF

This is not a techie advice, but my philosophy was/is, trim at the focal length you use the most.
  4. D

A MF camera that produces the "medium format look".

So, can someone scientifically tell me how a larger sensor renders out of focus falloff more smoothly than a smaller sensor? I'm not talking about "bokeh balls" or something buzzwordy like that...
  5. D

Hasselblad x1d and Short Flash Duration

So here's the thing Marc, even if the X1D could do HSS, which I haven't read that it can even though it supports Nikon flashes, the point is moot. HSS is a trick to get focal plane shutters to achieve an even exposure across the frame at high shutter speeds and it does this by pulsating. This...
  6. D

Yeah, I was specifically referring to Hi-Sync which is not the way to go with leaf shutters. ELB-400 with action head's flash duration is 1/2800s t.5 which is about 1/900s t.1. So you probably have to lower power by half (or close to it) to get 1/1600s or 1/2000s. Then you're at the Profoto B1...
  7. D

This is unfortunately terrible advice for someone who uses a leaf shutter. HS relies on using a long flash duration, not a short one. This is detriment to what a leaf shutter does. Your advice is sound for someone who uses a focal plane shutter and has a camera that supports Hi-Sync and needs...
  8. D

Uhm, high speed sync is for cameras with focal plane shutters. Leaf shutters and strobes with short flash duration is vastly superior to HSS which uses an enormous amount of power to pulsate x times when a focal plane shutter curtain starts moving...
  9. D

Ultimately we still need to know what you consider a small strobe and the power output you need to have available at 1/2000s. :)
  10. D

The answers you are looking for can be found here: http://strobist.blogspot.se/2010/06/rise-and-fall-of-machines-understanding.html
  11. D

Thanks jvpictures! I was trying to get more detailed stats but couldn't find any by quickly googling the subject :)
  12. D

I agree, to get this to actually work you need to consider the triggers, it needs to be a complete package. However, AD200 and SB-5000 have long flash durations at full power, 1/220s (I'm guessing t.1, haven't seen it specified) and 1/320s (my guesstimate t.1, t.5 is specified to 1/980s). So...
  13. D

What kind of power do you wish to have available at 1/2000th of a second? Most modern strobe designs have longer flash durations the higher power you use. As stated previously in the thread, a flash duration is spread out over time, and if you have a faster shutter than the flash duration, it...
  14. D

Do you use average focus or spot focus? I've tested a bit more with the 80mm which is the only BR lens that I have that supports AFr, and as long as I recompose the same way it gives me pretty consistent results. But to be honest, I'd rather just recompose with a good technique which...
  15. D

Here's my theory on how it really works: Hasselblad's TrueFocus will change focus during a recomposition. Phase One's AFr will based on the previous recomposition calculate and apply immediately when you focus. That explains why the shot will be out of focus if you decide not to recompose...