The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by jng

1. J

Hasselblad 24mm (or 25mm) f2.5V and 135mm f2.5V

Bottom and bottom-left are definitely showing some unpleasantness on top of quite minor star trails from the 8s exposure. None of this will really matter except at extreme magnification/enlargement. TBH I would be more concerned about field curvature @ maximum aperture than about any residual...
  2. J

I currently own the XCD 21, XCD 30, XCD 90, and XCD 55-V. I previously owned the XCD 45 but sold it not because of any quality issues (quite the contrary) but because it split the difference too closely between the 30 and 55. I have zero complaints about any of the lenses in my kit, including...
  3. J

Fun with MF images 2024

Cool! I don't think you've shown Central Park and the (silly matchstick) buildings beyond from this perspective before. Also nothing to complain about in terms of the XCD25V's performance - seems like a keeper to me! John
  4. J

Thanks for the real world images, Matt. I hope your back has recovered from slogging around both systems, but all in the name of science, right? From your experience it seems that the 25V is an excellent lens for close-up and most landscape use cases, the latter if stopped down a bit (TBH, I...
  5. J

Right. Old school! To pose my question more clearly: did you focus wide open in all instances, or did you focus at each shooting aperture. I ask, because wide open infinity focus seems pretty sharp, whereas infinity + 1.5mm appears best after stopping down. Thx. John
  6. J

Thanks, Matt. You clearly are an experimentalist trapped in a theorist's body and mind! My interpretation on just one double-shot of espresso, with the usual caveat of n = 1: assuming you focused the lens wide open, there appears to be focus shift combined with a bit of field curvature layered...
  7. J

Thanks, Matt. At least no math was involved! Seriously, though, did you try f/11 as well? I know, quelle horreur! to stop down so far, but f/8-f/11 would be pretty typical for me for landscape/built environment images. I rarely shoot wide open for such shots, except of course for very occasional...
  8. J

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

I feel your frustration on this! I've found that it helps to use the 907 as I did with the original Hasselblad 500 series body with waist level viewfinder: flip the LCD screen up at a 90 degree angle, and then hold the camera down by your waist, pulling it taut against the neck strap (this...
  9. J

Lol, consider the favor returned: Motivated by your last post, I just did a few measurements to confirm that the micro ICU can take the 907-CFV w/55V mounted, one additional lens, and perhaps a spare battery. It seems that there’s one in my future. A photographer can’t have too many bags, after...
  10. J

Medium Format Pets

Also known as the Soup Exception...
  11. J

Hi Matt, Dante thanks you. Your friend, John
  12. J

Thanks, Matt. I was particularly interested in the side-to-side dimension, which they list @ 29 cm, pretty close to the small ICU's 29.2 cm width. Does it fit? And yes, using the ICU in this pack would mean extra/wasted padding and therefore extra weight and bulk. But TBH the f-stop packs are...
  13. J

Matt, Oh, dear. I wasn't aware of Compagnon... And my closets are already overflowing with camera bags I don't use. Do you know whether the small f-stop ICU will fit inside the compartment of the 30L pack (the dimensions suggest it will be a snug fit)? I know, seems silly to do this but I like...
  14. J

I use the Turn Style 5 V2.0 sling from Think Tank. There's enough space for the camera w/one lens mounted and another lens nestled in behind it if it's one of the smaller ones. f-stop sells some smaller inserts, but I haven't really looked into these. John