The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent content by Jon Warwick

1. J

IQ 60MP VS 100MP (color comparison only)

interesting and helpful observation, thank you; i've not tried that for portraits and natural skin tones so will check it out, rather, i tend to do that in post processing to get closer to a more "filmic look" from my digital files
  2. J

IQ5 rumors

This is what I’m thinking too if all Leica lenses were to be compatible on a S4 via Leica adapters. At the moment, for color images, I have a Leica M11 simply for use with M lenses (I really like the options of the different renderings that the M lenses provide, from very modern to more classic...
  3. J

IQ5 rumors

I don’t want to misquote Tim’s findings (especially after all his hard work), but my takeaway from his various articles was 4x5’s ability to capture fine detail is similar to 80-100mp. That feels right based on my observation - before selling my 4x5, I compared identical scenes with 4x5...
  4. J

IQ5 rumors

I agree with your point re a less ostensibly “sharp” base for getting closer to an analogue feel. For example, when using my SL Summicrons (and GFX lenses), I’ve quite often needed to add some Blur in post to tone down the digital sharpness that I guess emanates from too high acutance. I like...
  5. J

Shift solution for X2D?

Can anyone opine on what the rendering is like of lenses such as the Rodenstock 40mm? I’m used to the looks of various Leica lenses - eg, SL APO primes that I sometimes thought were too sharp (probably too high acutance for my taste), whereas I like M and S lenses due to recording a ton of...
  6. J

The reason to buy a 28mm lens

I find that image very appealing. Did you do anything much in post, including correction to get the verticals upright?
  7. J

Fuji GF 30mm Tilt Shift and Rodenstock 32mm HR Digaron-W Lens Comparison

It's been a very interesting and informed discussion so far, so thanks to everyone. I used to do architecture on 5x4 with a SS 110mm XL lens, and now miss the process of using movements. I have a GFX100, hence was curious about the findings that's been presented and discussed here about its...
  8. J

Fun with MF images 2023

what a lovely image! As a former 5x4 user, now GFX100S and M11, there is something for me too about the look of large format film that I prefer over digital ….I think it’s perhaps to do with LF film’s combined blend of detail and “gentleness”, perhaps helped by the softer acutance, a little bit...
  9. J

Fun with M11 Monochrom

Really nice pictures, i'm a great fan of hiking in the mountains (around Chamonix in my case); these photos, to me at least, look truly "black and white", and hence very reminiscent of film's tonal rendering like Acros. Also impressed at the gentle highlight rendering, such as the bubbling water...
  10. J

Please convince me to buy (or not) a GFX 100s

I have the GFX100S, it’s slightly a love-hate relationship for me, I find the files take quite a lot of work for me to land where I want them to; it might just be a learning curve in my instance. I think compared to RAW files from the Leica M / Leica S / Hasselblad X that the GFX100 has quite a...
  11. J

Travel tripod for a tech cam

Many thanks for your comment, it is very helpful indeed. Yes, my plan is to keep the lightweight and compact Gitzo 1, so I would be pairing it with any RRS tripod that I get. I think I'm angling towards the TFC 34L rather than the 24L, given it's slightly taller .... and height is the main...
  12. J

Travel tripod for a tech cam

I already have a travel tripod (Gitzo 1 Series Mountaineer), ……but for something more robust, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the RRS 2 Series vs 3 Series? Specifically I am looking at either of the taller RRS models, so the TFC-24L or TFC-34L, both are quite similar weights and...
  13. J

Please help convince me to keep my IQ4150...or not

Have you taken identical shots side by side with the IQ4 and X2D, got them to your ideal print size and rendering in post, and then stood back and compared the 2 prints on a wall next to each other? I wasn’t sure whether I should keep my 5x4 after getting a GFX100S - so I took images of the...
  14. J

M11M and summilux 50 MK II officially launched!

Thanks for your comments. I’ve now take a selection of sample DNGs on 3 occasions with the M11M, and also think the images are outstanding. To my eyes, it’s like going up a film format, say from 120 to 5x4 …..more resolution, but especially I notice the smoother and richer tonality in large...
  15. J

M11M and summilux 50 MK II officially launched!

I just have an M10M at the moment. With the M11's usb c that you mention, can one tether the camera into an iPad so that it's "hard wired" to use the Fotos app rather than Bluetoothed? (I often use the Fotos app for live view shooting on a tripod to refine focusing accuracy and composition, so...