The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. M

IQ4 Remote App

Have you tried recently ? It really isn’t fit for purpose.
  2. M

Technical Cameras: Questions

I am not sure there is a more realistic forward path or at least I can’t see it. Most manufacturers aim to carry their customers forward over multiple upgrade cycles. P1 has done this well up to now - at least for me. I started with a DF and P65 ten years ago and now have XF and IQ3. I cannot...
  3. M

Technical Cameras: Questions

The migration cost issue concerns me. I bought into the A-S system ten or so years ago and have not regretted the choice. It seems to me however that the marginal costs of moving to, for instance, the XT platform and changing out the Copal shutter far outweigh the marginal benefits that would...
  4. M

Phase One XT

I could just about live with the absence of tilt as I use rise/fall more than tilt but the cost of converting my Rodenstock and Schneider lenses from Arca Swiss mounts sadly rules it out. Unless anyone in the UK is looking for a complete A-S kit. Even so I suspect the gap would be too great but...
  5. M

Help with Phase One XF decision please!

My mistake. Yes, the completely new BR lenses are big improvements. The ones simply re-badged with a blue ring may be much the same.
  6. M

With IQ3100 and IQ4150 Live View makes the viewfinder less critical. I tend now to use the WLF rather more as its saves a bit of weight. Others here may disagree but I am not sure that the Blue Ring lenses are really any better than the non Blue Ring ones.
  7. M

I’d concur that the HAP-2 upgrade was worth the money. Much improved as a result. I’d also really recommend focus trimming all your lenses. One of my sharpest prints was taken with the 55mm lens. Ok, the corners are snow and cloud but I wouldn’t be without it.
  8. M

Phase One XT

I’d like to but having bought Arca some years ago the cost is too great. I’d also want tilt. That said I have found that the XF and the Technical camera complement each other very well.
  9. M

Your favourite photographic book done by a medium format photographer?

Intimations of Paradise perhaps ? I have this book and Kenna's Japan and am also very fortunate to have two Burkett and two Kenna prints. Two of my favourite photographers.
  10. M

Experiences with the SK 240mm LS

This may be stating the obvious but I worried that my 240 (Non Blue Ring) was a bit off with the aperture wide open. But I hadn’t adjusted the focus trim which made a huge improvement. The lens also benefits from support at the front of the lens. Very happy with it but don’t use it so much...
  11. M

Another Phase One countdown on their website. What now?

I'm afraid I've only been an occasional contributor here over the years but I have learned a great deal from many here who are similarly in Dante's grip. For which many thanks.
  12. M

Arca Swiss Flip Lock problems

I very much like the flip-lock and wouldn’t have the other options. Yes, it can be a bit fiddly but I like the two clicks that confirm it’s locked. It is important to adjust the screw thread so it is not to loose and not too tight but once done it’s rock solid. I also used to carry a spare...
  13. M

Hasselbald Flextight Scanner

I have a Flextight scanner which is lightly used but Hassleblad has now discontinued support for the Flexcolor software. I plan to keep it and gradually to scan a large number of negatives. With 64 bit Catalina the Flexcolor software won't work. I have created a partition of a TB2 external...
  14. M

Next Apple machine ?

My question was really about the longer term and I don’t need to make any decision in the near future. That said the new Mac Mini would probably be the best option right now. It’s runs very quiet, it’s surprisingly powerful (to me at least). TB3 and the 10gigabit Ethernet option probably future...
  15. M

Next Apple machine ?

Yes. One day I’ll write a paragraph without a typo. Well spotted.
  16. M

Next Apple machine ?

I have a 2013 Mac Pro that works very well with Phase One IQ3100 and Sony A7Riii files. I also have a MBP13 which I use when travelling and a Mac Mini which works fine as a print server. The new Mac Pro announced yesterday seems to be targeted at high end video and will cost $$$. One day I...
  17. M

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

I’ve also seen vending machines in Japan that sell ice creams.
  18. M

Arca Swiss Factum Impressions

I started with the Factum and it works well. Later I also bought the Rm3di and while I haven’t sold the Factum I haven’t used it in a while. I don’t think the L bracket for the Factum is rigid enough when you turn the body through 90 degrees if you need shift. Especially if it is windy. I use...
  19. M

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

I have just come back from travelling solo for three weeks in nothern Honshu. I used trains, buses and a hire car. I walked >75 miles and was glad I took a couple of Sony bodies, four lenses and a light weight tripod. Leaving my Phase at home and a good decision and allowed me to travel light...
  20. M

Mac Mini for IQ3 100 and C1/Photoshop CC

I went for a MacMini with i7 16gb RAM and 1Tb SSD. I works very well and happily drives my twin NEC271 Spectraview monitors at their maximum resolution of 2560x1440. It handles the IQ1-3100 files in C1 with ease too. The only problem is that the monitors take up both thunderbolt ports and...