The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Quote:

Viramati wrote:
While waiting for a response from Japan I have had this from Sony Pro support UK (I had a new motherboard last year)
"Encountering a WiFi issue with a new mainboard would be unfortunate, but it's not possible to guarantee that this will not occur.

The new firmware introduces a detection mechanism for the Wi-Fi chipset. Should a user encounter a chipset failure on a version prior to this mechanism's implementation, the camera may fail to boot, become inoperable, display a System Error, or enter a boot loop.

Since your camera is functioning properly and you've indicated that the features available with firmware 2.01 do not interest you, we still recommend against updating your camera's software."

——-

LBJ2 responds:

Interesting facts as opposed to some of the forum or Facebook comments speculation. Also, interesting Sony feels the need to include this particular detection mechanism in v2.01.

"The new firmware introduces a detection mechanism for the Wi-Fi chipset. Should a user encounter a chipset failure on a version prior to this mechanism's implementation, the camera may fail to boot, become inoperable, display a System Error, or enter a boot loop."

In other words, for those that care, even if you never plan to use either might be wise to check your BT Wifi asap particularly if your camera is under warranty so it can be repaired under warranty.

For those realizing they were affected after the firmware update, I don't think/or I hope this is not the end of the story from Sony. But probably going to take some time for this multinational conglomerate and their supplier partners and their legal department(s) to sort and communicate a potential remedy.

In the mean time and as others has posted--to include those the never plan to use BT/Wifi, if there is a BT/Wifi chipset failure the camera is otherwise functional and in some cases e.g., a USBC cable can be used to transfer files directly from the camera instead of Wifi.

WOW! What a wild story.

I updated my A1 to Firmware version 2.01 and can shoot pictures without issues.
So far I have not tried Wi-Fi or BT yet, as I have never used it before.
Tempted to try. What could go wrong?
Famous last words.

As I understand the above discussion my A1 should not turn into a paper weight trying to use Wi-Fi or BT as it still works correctly otherwise now that it is on 2.01.

Last edited: