The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!

Check it out on their site. It's supposed to browse faster which would be great. That's my biggest complaint about it. Now you can save workspaces too.

Clawery

Some of the highlighted new features in Capture One 4.6 are:

- Improved performance:
o Notably in: Processing, Browsing, Folder viewing and Color Editor

- Edit Primary Only option:
o With Capture One 4.6 we will abandon the Shift modifier key for operating on multiple
selected images/variants. With Capture One 4.6 we will introduce an option “Edit Primary
Only”, which can be toggled on or off. When this option is off, changes made will affect all
selected variants, otherwise it will only affect the primary variant. You can toggle the “Edit
Primary Only” mode in the menu (Edit), the toolbar (icon) and via a new keyboard shortcut

- Camera Controls tool:
o For tethered shooting, this tool allows the users to remote control essential camera settings
such as program, shutter, aperture and EV adjustment directly from the application.

- Load/save workspaces (PRO/DB, Mac only):
o It is now possible to save and load workspaces in the application

- Nikon tethered capture for the following cameras (PRO):
o Nikon D3, Nikon D700, Nikon D300, Nikon D200, Nikon D80, Nikon D60, Nikon D40x,
Nikon D40

- New cameras supported (4/PRO):
o Phase One P 65+
o Canon G10
o Nikon D3X
o Olympus E-30

- Improved camera support (4/PRO):
o Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 50D: sRaw1 and sRaw2 supported

- Rating in Phase One back reflected in Capture One

- Software update
o A software update feature is introduced, so Capture One will in the future notify users if a
newer version of Capture One is available. This feature requires an internet connection

You can download the new Capture One 4.6 from Phase One's web site:

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads/CO4.aspx

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell

Paratom

I just installed it and finally the error with my Sinar-dng doesnt come up any more. I dont know why but I am happy that I can process my Sinar-DNGs now with either Sinar-Exposure, PS or C1. I dont know yet which Output I like best though ;)
Anybody knows if there are any specific Sinar-profiles for C1?
Tom

jlm

Workshop Member
i tried twice to download and install it; trying to run the exe file gave a corrupted file message both times

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
It downloaded and installed fine for me. However, I'm seeing a strange new artifact in the controls that shows a line running through the effect number on those controls that use sliders. Attached is a screen grab of the area in question. This is on OSX 10.5.6, Mac Pro.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay it is a lot faster. Now this has me really excited since I am looking at 3k in images this week to process.

Guy Mancuso

Wow i can go through my files REALLY fast , this was what i was really waiting for. I had the beta but did not load it because in the middle of to much work but I had to load it this morning and take the chance , looks good so far . Please report any bugs since we can send notes to Phase One and Doug at CI to get the proper info to the engineers.

Guy Mancuso

Tim I would reboot and see if it still exists and maybe reload if needed. maybe Doug will see and give some advice also.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Everyone should give the Color Editor a quick try. Before it was so slow to show a change that experimentation was a big PITA. Now it's pretty snappy and can be used with relatively little pain. It's the most powerful feature in the whole program.

I just installed it and finally the error with my Sinar-dng doesnt come up any more. I dont know why but I am happy that I can process my Sinar-DNGs now with either Sinar-Exposure, PS or C1. I dont know yet which Output I like best though ;)
Anybody knows if there are any specific Sinar-profiles for C1?
Tom
Definitely no sinar-specific profiles but the Color Editor can be used to tweak the generic profile and save it as an independent ICC profile. Just make sure you experiment with a variety of images (don't just tweak the profile to one specific image).

i tried twice to download and install it; trying to run the exe file gave a corrupted file message both times
I would 1) uninstall the previous version (link for instructions) 2) redownload the file using one of the other servers (there are two US and one european servers)

It downloaded and installed fine for me. However, I'm seeing a strange new artifact in the controls that shows a line running through the effect number on those controls that use sliders. Attached is a screen grab of the area in question. This is on OSX 10.5.6, Mac Pro.
I'm not seeing that artifact. Does it stay there if you resize the width of the column? Does it stay with a reboot? If so I would uninstall (link for instructions) completely and reinstall. Otherwise maybe a video card problem of some kind. No idea.

edit: short of a full reinstall you could also just dump the preferences file: User/Library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone.plist while the program is closed and relaunch.

Guy Mancuso

Doug this is flying really nice. Okay I am excited about this since i said it three times now. LOL

Now I have not tried tethered but I am also really excited about camera controls in C1 . Now I don't need that darn long release i can shoot tethered with camera at 12ft on ladder and be on ground and not only can I control the shutter now I can SEE the image without getting back up on the ladder each time. Okay I am lazy but seriously this is HUGE

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I created a new varient and the white balance and exposure settings went back to default, maybe others too.
Is this by design?
I didn't notice this before, but it might be that I just wasn't looking
thanks
-bob

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry to rain on your parade but the camera controls only apply to the P65+ as of right now. Unclear if this can be back-ported to the earlier + backs, but if it can be it won't be right away (a new firmware release would have to be made and those take a while to clear quality control).

Of course you can trigger the shot on most tethered cameras, but the new camera control allows aperture and shutter speed control.

I'm not clear myself if camera controls include canon/nikon. Anyone want to check? It's inventory day in Miami, so I don't have time!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I created a new varient and the white balance and exposure settings went back to default, maybe others too.
Is this by design?
I didn't notice this before, but it might be that I just wasn't looking
thanks
-bob
New Variant = Variant with all default values
Clone Variant = Create variant identical to current image

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
One wish I have is that the viewer would not always expand the image to fill the window.
For example, if a smallish jpeg is created, it looks like it is full of uprez jaggies with no way of really displaying it at 100% within C1.
thanks
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm not seeing that artifact. Does it stay there if you resize the width of the column? Does it stay with a reboot? If so I would uninstall (link for instructions) completely and reinstall. Otherwise maybe a video card problem of some kind. No idea.

edit: short of a full reinstall you could also just dump the preferences file: User/Library/Preferences/com.phaseone.captureone.plist while the program is closed and relaunch.
Removing the prefs seems to have cleared it up. Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Sorry to rain on your parade but the camera controls only apply to the P65+ as of right now. Unclear if this can be back-ported to the earlier + backs, but if it can be it won't be right away (a new firmware release would have to be made and those take a while to clear quality control).

Of course you can trigger the shot on most tethered cameras, but the new camera control allows aperture and shutter speed control.

I'm not clear myself if camera controls include canon/nikon. Anyone want to check? It's inventory day in Miami, so I don't have time!
Darn, let's certainly put that on the list Doug.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Is it a free upgrade from 4.5? I could never get 4.5 to work reliably (4.5.2 now crashes on startup) and had pretty much written off PhaseOne. They seem to ignore crash reports and don't respond to email. I used my last free upgrade for 4.5.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Is it a free upgrade from 4.5? I could never get 4.5 to work reliably (4.5.2 now crashes on startup) and had pretty much written off PhaseOne. They seem to ignore crash reports and don't respond to email. I used my last free upgrade for 4.5.
Only major updates count as use of your "upgrades". The only instance of this in the last few years was the transition from 3.X Pro to 4.5 Pro. I don't expect that they will go to 5.X for a good long while (measured in years), so your all set for the foreseeable future.

So yes, it is a free update.

If Capture One was crashing on startup you likely did not remove the last version fully prior to installing 4.5.2. (uninstall instructions). Short of a full uninstall/reinstall (which granted only takes a couple of minutes) the solution likely would have been to delete the preference file and default session file. From my experience and the experience of my customers 4.5.2 was pretty stable, and cases like yours (crash at launch) was uncommon, but not as uncommon as you'd like. One thing I can say for certain is that 4.6 has been more stable while I've been using it (in beta for the last two weeks) than 4.5.2.

If you open a support ticker on PhaseOne.com you will get an answer. But in general if it's a question like yours you'll get a faster answer by posting on this very helpful forum.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio