The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera from Arca Swiss: the Pico

P. Chong

Was at the Photo Salon in Geneva earlier today, and spied this new camera from Arca Swiss. The prototype showed a modified Canon 24 TSE and GFX. The lens has its Shift element removed and placed on the rear standard. Tilt remains on the Canon lens. I forget if there is an additional tilt mechanism on the front standard. Focus is also by bellows and moving the rear standard. The front standard remains stationary attached to the tripod head. The body has electrical contacts to operate the shutter. Arca Swiss says it will be available with a variety of lenses, including Phase One BL, Hasselblad H and Copal (or other) mechanical shuttered lenses. I would imagine barrel lenses can also be operated by using the camera’s focal plane shutter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Mhh what exactly is the novelty compared to other similar setups – I thought one can use the TSE already?

Trying to better understand the value proposition – I guess it is that they reverse engineer a host of lens mounts? Leica S too? And that the P1 one has been reverse-engineered?

4x5Australian

From Wiktionary (with my failed attempted edit on the -12 power):

Etymology
Borrowed from Spanish pico (“beak, little bit, speck”)[1]

Pronunciation
(UK) IPA(key): /ˈpiː.kəʊ/
(US) IPA(key): /ˈpaɪ.koʊ/, /ˈpi.koʊ/

Prefix
pico-

In the International System of Units and other metric systems of units, multiplying the unit to which it is attached by 10 raised to −12 (short scale trillionth or long scale billionth). Symbol: p

pico- - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

Last edited:

TechTalk

Interesting and thanks for sharing this! Any idea what the mount and the control unit to which it's cabled do exactly? Hopefully Rod Klukas will be able to share some additional details soon.

Arca Pico Lens Mount.png Arca Pico Lens Control.png

buildbot

Interesting and thanks for sharing this! Any idea what the mount and the control unit to which it's cabled do exactly? Hopefully Rod Klukas will be able to share some additional details soon.

View attachment 207938 View attachment 207941
I really hope that is something like the Alpa silex!
All these great early electronic leaf shutter lenses like the rollei 6000 and phase one ls could be so useful on an iq3/iq4 without a mirror…

P. Chong

Sorry for spotty response. I am traveling

1. Looks like there is a knob for tilt and swing. But I am not 100% certain

2. It is a bit lighter and more rigid than the regular AS setup. Similar to the Linhof Techno I think.

3. the Canon, yes they have the aperture control working. I have a boring show pic taken with my GFX attached. The electronic only controls the shutter. They told me they are working on other lenses and P1 BL is already tested. But no exif inputs in the position of the standards as there is no direct connection to the camera. I understand other backs are usable.

4. No pricing yet. Introduction date is 1Q24. The prototype was ready and they brought it to the show.

5. Alpa Silex. No. There is no shutter. I have tried the Silex. It is very cumbersome to use. Lots of connections. If there is interest, I can post a link to an article I wrote earlier this year. Let me know.

Vilpo

3. the Canon, yes they have the aperture control working. I have a boring show pic taken with my GFX attached. The electronic only controls the shutter. They told me they are working on other lenses and P1 BL is already tested. But no exif inputs in the position of the standards as there is no direct connection to the camera. I understand other backs are usable.
So Pico camera control unit only controls the aperture of EF-lens attached and GFX own shutter is used for exposure?
Maybe lenses with a central shutter are fully controlled with control unit / box shown in pictures, but I do not see there would be an AS electronic shutter in those pictures.

P. Chong

AFAIK there is no shutter. Either the Pico controls the in lens shutter. Or use the camera’s shutter.

Alkibiades

nice to see that there will be new technical camera solutions.
anyway to use canon ts-e lenses on fuji gfx you need a simple adapter, I cannot see any real advantage for this combo by using a technical camera, the canon mount size is the limiteting factor by using it on Fuji gfx. New GFX shift/tilt lenses are the more logic way.

cunim

I wish AS the best with this, though I am not sure why it is what it appears to be. The mechanical movements are pretty straightforward and AS has always done a decent job with those. Interfacing and electrically driven moving parts, on the other hand ..... Opinions reserved until I see how this thing implements integration with lens and back protocols.

RodK

nice to see that there will be new technical camera solutions.
anyway to use canon ts-e lenses on fuji gfx you need a simple adapter, I cannot see any real advantage for this combo by using a technical camera, the canon mount size is the limiteting factor by using it on Fuji gfx. New GFX shift/tilt lenses are the more logic way.
Akiblades,
TS lenses are not the answer if you wish to maintain perspective. The idea is to not move the lens except for a tilt or swing, which changes Perspective only slightly Perspective is pretty much maintained. Also TS lenses sometimes cannot perfectly give you the shift and rise/fall combination you want. But TS lenses do have their place.

rdeloe

I'm happy to see Arca-Swiss is developing new products. However, this one I do not understand. I hope they've done their market research.

Personally, what I would like to see is an even lighter, more compact camera than the F-Universalis or Actus. My F-Universalis is quite light, but it's still over 1.4 kg with a lens board and Rotafoot, and quite bulky. I built a very compact 750 gram digital view camera for GFX and used it for a year. I'd still be using it if I had a way to fix a front standard alignment error that makes the top-right corner in images soft. It had all the movements on the front standard, which is not ideal but did not prevent me from doing a lot of serious field work.

P. Chong

I think I missed this...I understand the mount will be for various lenses. The prototype shows the Canon TS. But other lenses will be possible. Jean-Pierre Pieve, the Arca Swiss MD told me that theoretically any lens can be mounted. And they will make the lens mount if there is demand. Including those with electronically controlled aperture like the Canon. As mentioned, the other examples he gave were the P1 BL, and the Hasselblad H. I don't think, but will stand to be corrected, that the electronically controlled in-lens shutter can be used. But a Copal mechanical shutter is possible by putting the camera in Bulb and shooting with the shutter. Alternatively Jean-Pierre said that a wake up cable is also a possibility.

View attachment 207938 View attachment 207941

Paul Spinnler

I would have an interest if they open up the Leica S and Phase One Blue Ring aperture control for third party use. Contax and Hassy and Canon EF are already reverse engineered.

What is the unique value proposition?

What would be really nice though is a small R with an egonimic handle and 10mm rise and which at the front has just the helical.

diggles

I'm wondering how many millimeters it shaves off the distance between the lens mount and the camera mount. Will it work with GFX + 35HR-S or 35XL? And, how rigid will this camera be?

Required

I just received this in my mailbox.

ARCA-SWISS DAYS 2024
Dear photo enthusiasts!

At the end of the year, we were able to put together a really good package.

We are planning the ARCA-SWISS Days on June 7 and 8, 2024.
In addition to all cameras, all tripod heads with all kinds of accessories, you can also see the sensationally beautiful new camera, the ARCA-SWISS PICO live for the first time!

I've already had the great pleasure -
Yes, I am really looking forward to using this instrument to compose new, innovative images.

In addition to its beauty, the camera is incredibly precise!
To begin with, ARCA-SWISS will also be presenting 3 lenses that are specially manufactured for the PICO.
The camera was designed with "plug & play" in mind.
You will experience it.
Simply mount it on a tripod, attach the Mirrorless (or even the Digiback) and off you go.
Really anyone can use this camera -
And anyone can start working immediately.

You can read it from the lines: I'm really looking forward to the PICO!

As we are currently in the planning stage, you can contribute your ideas by filling out the form.

--> to the form <--

We are counting on your feedback!

These will be exciting days!

You can look forward to it too!