The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

907x with manual adapters

anyone

Hi there,

I'm still learning about my new 907x with CFV100c. I'd like to ask how the 907x and CFV100c combination behaves with "dumb" adapters without any electronic contacts. Can you select the same modes as if you'd use the digital back alone?

When you use the digital back alone, you can select for camera "Any (flash sync)" or "Any (ES)". I'd be interested to use these modes while the CFV100c back is connected to the Hasselblad 907x camera body, as I plan to adapt large format lenses with shutters.

Thank you!

Last edited:

GeorgeBo

Looking at mine with a dummy adapter on the 907x right now. You can select Electronic Shutter and Flash - Normal or Rear. As far as I can see there is no option for Flash Sync of the shutter with a cable like you would with the back only.

The menu option for Camera Body where you would select "Any" is not available on the back with the 907x attached

Last edited:

anyone

Thank you! So probably they didn't think of accommodating the sync of the back via cable while it is mounted on the 907x.

I was trying to prototype the cameras reaction to a dumb adapter by just having the body cap on (in the end for the camera it should probably be the same as when there is a dumb adapter mounted).

Edit: I did find the ES setting in the exposure menu.
Edit2: to start Live view with an adapted lens, you need to press the shutter button.

Last edited:

GeorgeBo

Just half press the shutter on the 907x to get the live view working. Also note that unless you have ES set you will get a warning message that No Lens Detected when pressing the 907x shutter.

anyone

Thank you! I just figured it out as well while trying. Somehow I was fixed on finding the "live view" somewhere on the screen, the way it shows up when the back is operated alone.

KlausJH

Hi there,

I'm still learning about my new 907x with CFV100c. I'd like to ask how the 907x and CFV100c combination behaves with "dumb" adapters without any electronic contacts. Can you select the same modes as if you'd use the digital back alone?

When you use the digital back alone, you can select for camera "Any (flash sync)" or "Any (ES)". I'd be interested to use these modes while the CFV100c back is connected to the Hasselblad 907x camera body, as I plan to adapt large format lenses with shutters.

Thank you!
Whenever the 907X ist attached to a CFV 50/100 you lose the capability to select a different camera mode. Unfortunately. You can never use a central shutter on adapted lenses this way. The way I do it, is with a Flexbody and Adapters. And it works with V lenses too.
However, flange distance and the diameter of the V mount make it impossible to use very wide focal lengths.
The photo shows the combination of a Flexbody, a 32mm V extension ring, a 3D printed adapter and a 150mm Sironar.

Flexbody-Sironar150.jpeg

Godfrey

Very interesting!

I use my 907x with adapted lenses quite often, but typically with Leica M, R or V system lenses. I've only used them with the eshutter, never thought about using a view camera lens/shutter or triggering a flash with a V system lens.

That's a neat rig with the Flexbody ...!

G

KlausJH

Now let's plug a X sync splitter on the lens and connect a flash cable with the flash sync input from the backend and a second flash cable with the flash sync input from the flash. Now the lens shutter should fire the flash and trigger the backend. Will it work? Yes it did with a V lens as well as with a LF lens.
Thanks Godfrey!

Flexbody-flash-V.jpgFlexbody-flash-LF.jpg

john

This is my CFV 50c, Flexbody, and Hasselblad CF 250 Superachromat...set up to use the central shutter of the lens....with an additional cable, it is possible to use flash..

1710172416833.jpeg
1710173034484.jpeg

This a great combination with the CFV 50c....using the CFV 100c would be even more fun. I am going to sell the Flexbody and the CF 250 SA (with the V to X adaptor}. Let me know if interested....or questions about this set up. There is a not lot of information on the Flexbody, or examples of its use. Here is some:

KlausJH

True, there is not much information about the Flexbody and pictures take with it. Here is an example: Flexbody, Distagon 3.5/60 CF, 1/15s, tilt 7°, CFV II 50C.

Image 0.jpg

anyone

I had the Flexbody and was not a big fan of it. For my taste, it lacked the precision of digital view cameras like the Linhof Techno due to the tilt mechanism. But happy it works out for you!

What I liked:
  • small package
  • possibility to use the shutter of the V lenses
  • shift
What I disliked:
  • no zero detent or anything similar with the tilt mechanism. One needed to be super careful to not induce unwillingly tilt
  • limited movements. Only horizontal shift and back tilt
  • relatively slow shift mechanism - you need to turn a knob quite many times if you want to for example stitch
  • the screen uses inlays to correct for falloff when tilted. If you don't use them, the screen is very dark. This is of course only of concern if you use a ground glass
In the end, I abandoned the Flexbody and went for a tech cam solution.

It would be great if Hasselblad would enable the sync also when the back is attached to the 907x.

Last edited:

jng

Movements were less than precise but that never stopped me from having some great fun and making some nice images with the Flexbody + IQ160, what I used to refer to as my "low tech tech cam solution" and a gateway to the current tech cam inferno that I find myself in. Some of the legacy Hasselblad V lenses are quite sharp and have image circles that support a fair amount of shift, e.g., the 4/40 IF and 3.5/100 Planar.

John

Godfrey

I've considered a Flexbody several times. But i know I'll likely use it, or any tech cam, for a week and then return to my usual photography. It's a lot of money to spend on something that will most likely be just a passing entertainment.

Kinda like 8x10 Polaroid which also appeals to me.

G

Reactions: jng

jng

I've considered a Flexbody several times. But i know I'll likely use it, or any tech cam, for a week and then return to my usual photography. It's a lot of money to spend on something that will most likely be just a passing entertainment.

Kinda like 8x10 Polaroid which also appeals to me.

G
Fair enough. Since I already had a nice collection of old Hassy lenses this was a relatively easy way for me to get myself into the world of shift and tilt while I screwed up the courage to ask permission from the boss to spend piles of $$ on a tech cam kit. I found that when I still had it, more often than not I would reach for the Flexbody before my 501CM, but then again I'm kind of a shifty guy. 🤪 YMMV, of course!

John

KlausJH

For me the Flexbody is primarily a smarter interface between the HB backs and V/LF lenses than a 907X. It is possible to use the central shutter and a flash works fine. You can cock the shutter on V lenses and there is tilt and shift even with some shortcomings. I wouldn't use it with film backs. With a digital back there is no need for a ground glass and correction frames. And it's relatively compact. Sure, it is not on the same level as a "real" tech camera but it offers some neat useful feature.

anyone

For me the Flexbody is primarily a smarter interface between the HB backs and V/LF lenses than a 907X. It is possible to use the central shutter and a flash works fine. You can cock the shutter on V lenses and there is tilt and shift even with some shortcomings. I wouldn't use it with film backs. With a digital back there is no need for a ground glass and correction frames. And it's relatively compact. Sure, it is not on the same level as a "real" tech camera but it offers some neat useful feature.
I use a Cambo WRS for the same purpose, which offers shift but omits tilt which led to problems for me.

There are adapters for Cambo and 3rd party that allow to use the V lens shutters as well.

This works better for my needs, but it’s nice that there are several ways to customize our equipment according to our needs :)

The Flexbody offers on the other hand possibilities which may be important, depending on the shooting style, namely the bellows and tilt. And of course it’s a lot more economical than a tech cam. While the latter allows to use marvelous wide angle lenses, something the V system lacks. Tech cam setups tend to be as individual as their users.

Shifting Hasselblad V lenses is definitely possible and worthwhile to do. My favourites are the 40 IF, CF 100, CF 180, Superachromat 250, Superachromat 350.

Last edited:

KlausJH

Hi there,

Thank you!
But what happens when you steal the power from the 907x? Shouldn't it become a "dumb" adapter?
I taped the first button on the right side and this shuts the 907x off.
This way you are able to select different camera bodies from the menu of the back. In flash sync mode it is possible to use the center shutter of a large format lens. It worked for me and flash also. My back is a CFV II 50C.
Disclaimer: you do it on your own risk. This post is not a recommendation!
See picture what I did.

907x-dumb adapter.jpg

mristuccia

But what happens when you steal the power from the 907x? Shouldn't it become a "dumb" adapter?
I taped the first button on the right side and this shuts the 907x off.
This way you are able to select different camera bodies from the menu of the back. In flash sync mode it is possible to use the center shutter of a large format lens. It worked for me and flash also. My back is a CFV II 50C.
Disclaimer: you do it on your own risk. This post is not a recommendation!
See picture what I did.

View attachment 211498
I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I'had the same idea. Unfortunately I don't have an HB digital back with electric contacts so I could not try this trick myself (I have the CFV-50c Mk 1).
Anyway, well done, and thanks for giving me a confirmation. I'm planning to acquire the CFV-100c in the near future and I'm happy to know that there is a way.