The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AI landscape photography prototype

dj may

After several years of work I and my collaborators now have a working prototype of an AI landscape photography solution. It is a solution consisting of cameras, lenses, computing devices, actuators and energy sources. The prototype is a power-hungry and heavy hardware/software solution.

The solution consists of three modes.
Composition mode: after capturing a view of the of the scene, the AI determines the best lens selection and framing. The camera with lens, on a special mount, is driven by actuators to the optimum framing and focus.

Exposure mode: AI determines the best camera shutter speed and aperture according to a menu of user selection criteria.

Process mode: AI establishes parameters for Lightroom Treatment, Tone Curve, and HSL/Color. Thousands of processed images were incorporated in developing the AI so that graduated filters and adjustment brushes can also be applied. User can select Tonality submodes Maximum, Midtone Priority, Darks Priority, Lights Priority and Dark+Light Priority. Dust spots are also identified for removal. These parameters are applied when the image is opened in Lightroom.

After the AI engine “processes” the image, it only requires a few minutes to fine tune.

As of today the solution only works with Leica S3 and most S lenses. Lightroom is the only available image processor.

By this time next year we hope to substantially reduce the power, computing and equipment loads. Current weight is about 70 kilograms. We have not yet decided if the software will be open source. The hardware has been developed by Ernst Witz.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

DJ May - do you still like the s24? I am considering it, I hear that it is optically a step above the avg of S lenses like the 120 and 180 APO. Do you agree with that? Can u share some S24 samples? Thanks a lot

tcdeveau

I understand that certain AI power sources with excess ethanol can lead to unstable images.
But has also been known to enhance creativity in certain instances, especially when sourced from the Scottish Highlands after having been aged 10-25 years in wood barrels.

dj may

DJ May - do you still like the s24? I am considering it, I hear that it is optically a step above the avg of S lenses like the 120 and 180 APO. Do you agree with that? Can u share some S24 samples? Thanks a lot
I still use the S24 quite a lot. All the S lenses are outstanding, so I cannot say that S24 is better than the 120 and 180. I like the 120 and 180 very much also. These three are probably my most used. The 70 is next and then the 30, which I rarely use.

dj may

But has also been known to enhance creativity in certain instances, especially when sourced from the Scottish Highlands after having been aged 10-25 years in wood barrels.
I am partial to the variety made with my friend Peat.

dj may

I forgot to post some examples of the S 24mm lens, as you requested. See below.