The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody else here using RZ67 PRO IID?

jng

Hey @jng thanks so much for the reply.

Those are some good points. It surprises me that they're still using the same screen for even the most recent backs. I do believe from what I've seen and from experience of shooting on phase one that the screen is nice to use. I kind of know what you mean with the clinical look of the modern sensors. I've been shooting for so long and recently even talked to my GF about the fact that with the GFX the sensor is so 'good' that it almost lacks character. It's too perfect. Which is great. But my work relies heavily on character which I of course can edit back into the photo. Things like using vintage lenses work too. But that 'secret sauce' of the color renditions of a sensor is just so hard to find with all recent tech. Staring at images for 10 years as a full time photographer makes the eye so critical. I know that 'feeling' exists and is tangible with older/larger sensors.

Depending on whether I can find a good deal on an IQ60 back I was considering getting an older MacBook that's compatible with the older version of capture one to do tethering with the P-series. Tethering will most likely almost never be necessary. But if I'd get a 2013 MBP with an adapter for about 300 bucks, the back of the P65+ will still be half of what most (60) IQ's or Credo's go for.

I wish there was someone local that had a back for sale because I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Most are international sellers/stores.
The modern lenses for sure are a big contributor to the clinical look, but this is not to discount the contribution of the sensor and profiles as well. I used the IQ160 for a time on my Cambo w/Rodenstock 40 and 70mm lenses before upgrading to the IQ3100. Hard to put into words, but the colors from the IQ160 were just easier to work with. On the other hand, the IQ4 150 files are indescribably delicious, but this pushes the cost proposition into a different strata...

marchaers

@jng LOL I wish I could justify the IQ4 150 - and even though I could somewhat justify it based off of how business is going and the assignments I get. The insanely high quality would be overkill - even for the the highest profile campaign photography 😅. Also yes, the cost situation would change drastically haha. I wish that wasn't a thing though lol. I'd walk down to the dealer right now if I had that kind of money on hand.

I will test the waters with a 60 back and see how that goes, possibly working my way towards the higher res backs. Though the IQ4 backs aren't compatible with the RZ67 sadly - only through workarounds which I really wouldn't prefer as that takes away the true function of the adapter and combining old and new.

What does really help is that you yourself and what I've read quite a bit, is that the CCD backs do have that 'magic touch'. I've shot a couple of campaigns on a (rented) IQ280 back in the day (amazing) and once a personal project on the IQ250 < this was disappointing to be honest. But back then I didn't realise fully that this was a cropped CMOS MF sensor.

I love the GFX and the wonderful 100 megapixels it churns out but to be completely fair it feels like an amped up Sony sensor. Not necessarily exactly the same but the colours feel 'off' like they do with the A7R cameras. Too 'digital' for me. I use a color checker too if necessary but in a pinch I feel like I need to 'de-digitize' it quite a lot to make it feel nicer.

Getting closer though. 60 megapixel back it is. Now just see which one pops up for the best price soonest. Hehe.

jng

@jng LOL I wish I could justify the IQ4 150 - and even though I could somewhat justify it based off of how business is going and the assignments I get. The insanely high quality would be overkill - even for the the highest profile campaign photography 😅. Also yes, the cost situation would change drastically haha. I wish that wasn't a thing though lol. I'd walk down to the dealer right now if I had that kind of money on hand.

I will test the waters with a 60 back and see how that goes, possibly working my way towards the higher res backs. Though the IQ4 backs aren't compatible with the RZ67 sadly - only through workarounds which I really wouldn't prefer as that takes away the true function of the adapter and combining old and new.

What does really help is that you yourself and what I've read quite a bit, is that the CCD backs do have that 'magic touch'. I've shot a couple of campaigns on a (rented) IQ280 back in the day (amazing) and once a personal project on the IQ250 < this was disappointing to be honest. But back then I didn't realise fully that this was a cropped CMOS MF sensor.

I love the GFX and the wonderful 100 megapixels it churns out but to be completely fair it feels like an amped up Sony sensor. Not necessarily exactly the same but the colours feel 'off' like they do with the A7R cameras. Too 'digital' for me. I use a color checker too if necessary but in a pinch I feel like I need to 'de-digitize' it quite a lot to make it feel nicer.

Getting closer though. 60 megapixel back it is. Now just see which one pops up for the best price soonest. Hehe.
There's ongoing debate about how much the difference in CCD and CMOS renderings is due to the actual profiles vs sensor technology, and whether one can make a custom profile that suits one's tastes. Whatever the case, if it's the medium format look you're after, sensor/film size is a big factor in determining how a lens will render, perhaps one reason why you were disappointed with the cropped sensor IQ150?

marchaers

@jng Ohh yeah definitely. Probably like most of us, I can see that there's an observable difference in the look of in an image when it comes to sensor size. Compression of the lens vs angle of view vs bokeh falloff etc etc.

The IQ250 was more of a let down because I thought after the fact that I could have shot it with my A7R III (at the time) and Sigma 50mm 1.4 with the same or better results. Not necessarily comparing it to what I wanted to see but what was already achieved with the very fast developing full frame at the time.

So it's a combination of the two. Very observable difference in rendering compared to a larger sensor + the Sony would have done just as well or better (especially at the slightly higher iso of some shots).

The reason I love the GFX so much is that it brings the versatility of Sony cameras to a larger sensor. No compromises in ease of use. The next purchase is truly for the bigger sensor. Physics. Haha.

Reactions: jng

steve_cor

Phase One is planning to add tethering for the IQ series backs to Capture One for iPad. I would wait for that rather than trying to make FireWire work.

—Steve.

marchaers

Phase One is planning to add tethering for the IQ series backs to Capture One for iPad. I would wait for that rather than trying to make FireWire work.

—Steve.
Yeah I decided this morning that I'll aim for a more modern 80mp back and get something that's a long term solution quality wise for work as well.

steve_cor

Marchaers,
You would also like the 140mm f/4.5 Macro Z lens. It's not just for macros; it's good for all distances. Including portraits.

--Steve.

baudolino

Hi, I still have the RZ67 ProIID but last year I sold the HX701 together with the IQ280 back I was using it with. I have not read everybody else's replies so, at the risk of repeating someone's advice: if the camera is stuck and does not want to take a picture (beeping sound upon pressing the shutter), the remedy is to reset the back to factory settings first (in the menu) and then set again to the RZ67 mode. I did not know the first time this happened (ruined my shoot with a paid model...) but managed to figure it out later in the day, through trial and error. Also, carry a spare battery for the camera (does not work without one) and remember to lock the shutter button between uses to prevent the battery from running flat (there is a ring surrounding the button itself...one of the settings is to lock it). It is also a good idea to get the dedicated focusing screen with markings for the sensor. Last but not least, make sure you check all the screws on the camera body from time to time as they have a tendency to come loose (especially the three or four screws that secure the winding lever to the body - they hide under a round cap so you would not suspect that something may fall off the camera until the lever does...and Phase One do not have these screws in stock and don't even know where to get them if they get lost - luckily, I eventually found mine at the bottom of my camera bag).

Congrats on getting the camera and the adapter for a really good price. The best features are the rotating back and a really good focusing screen. Here is a link (NSFW) for an image I took with the combo and the 250mm APO lens three years ago.

Finally, regarding the CCD vs. CMOS sensor digital backs. The P1 CCD backs (like the IQ280 I had) are fine as long as you have enough light (= control over light). Fine for studio or location work with strobes, probably landscapes also, obviously not so convenient in low light situations, due to the base ISO of 35. Great skin tones from these Dalsa sensors (I also have a Credo 80 on a HY6 ...alongside an IQ4150 on an XF...so can still compare) but the IQ4150 sensor is miles ahead in terms of low light capabilities and has insane dynamic range. I wouldn't worry about all the "rendering differences" between CCD and CMOS - there are much greater variables, like light, develop presets etc...meaning you can make the image look whatever you want from either type of sensor. Bottom line: if you can stretch your budget to the IQ4 150 or even a second hand IQ3 100, then go for the CMOS version. If not, then the 80mp IQ backs are a great option. In any case, I would stay with the full frame backs and avoid the smaller "cropped format" backs (like the IQ250).

Last edited:

marchaers

@baudolino Thanks so much for sharing. Amazing work and definitely making good use of the cameras from what I can see in the tonality/skintones and 'unbreakable' quality in some extreme lighting situations. Hats off, awesome work!

To reply 'quick and easy' to the first part of your message. Yeah - I just ordered and received 10 batteries for the body LOL. I'm aware of the draining and definitely removing any inserted battery with longer storage. It came with the dedicated focusing screen so that was a pleasant extra. Didn't know about the screws - definitely going to keep that in mind.

Good pointer on the digital back remedy. Yeah I've come to the conclusion that I'll probably buy a 'cheap' back to get into the system which will move down as a backup to whatever comes after. Definitely full frame.

I'm shooting all of my commercial/fast paced work with my GFX-100S which to me strikes a great balance between speed and flexibility on set (even though it's cropped). The RZ+Back will be focused on being used for specific image/art creation only. So 99% of the time very controlled when shooting with it. If that 1% creeps up - I'll grab the GFX in a heartbeat.

I've been looking at the 60 or 80 megapixel backs. The exact sensor I fell in love with years ago was when I took the Credo 80 on a campaign and was so blown away by the images that even when revisiting I can see why. I might opt for that one. Whenever situations become too dire to shoot with a back like this I'd want the ease and quickness of my GFX anyways so there's a big chance I might float around with an older CCD back. They're getting very affordable too so that's nice.

Just curious; why did you end up selling the HX701? Was it due to the communication/error that popped up? One thing that I'm kind of hesitant about with this whole investment is the complications that can arise when shooting with digital backs (I know it's part of the 'charm' lol... but still).

I know that the IQ4 works with the HX but isn't supposed to work with it - only with a workaround. So I'm more or less bound to the IQ3 (80/100) or earlier range.

Thanks again for the thorough reply. Much appreciated!

baudolino

Hi, the reason I sold the HX701 was that the buyer of my IQ280 already had an RZ67IID and could not find the adapter. My willingness to sell the HX sealed the deal for the back. And I was already down the road with the XF for my digital system and did not expect to use the RZ in parallel. As much as I like the RZ (especially the lenses which are delicious and cheap as dirt nowadays), it is a bit of a fiddly beast. No AF, shutter limited to 1/400s with manual cocking, etc. I still love shooting it with film, though. But for a typical shoot with a model, I prefer to work faster, sometimes handheld especially with strobes, and have fewer things to worry about (like why is the camera beeping again when I want it to take a picture). As for the batteries...I meant that you should carry a spare battery for the camera body also. It usually lasts for a long time but if you don't lock the shutter and leave the camera in the bag, something may press against the shutter button and gradually discharge the battery in the body. And then the camera will not work at all.

I'd say that when you already have the GFX100s as your "production machine" then it makes a lot of sense to go for a full frame CCD back for the RZ.

marchaers

@baudolino Agreed, the film body does require a bit of a methodical approach and is much slower (some might say cumbersome). Though that's the thing I'm looking for so that won't be much of an issue. Oh yeah I was talking about the camera body (the 6V one for the bottom). I don't have a back yet so I won't know which batteries to order for that :).

steve_cor

In the RZ, one battery lasts all year.

For a Phase One digital back, you could go through several batteries in one day.

This battery is for all Phase One backs, and Leaf Credo. But not Leaf Aptus.

—Steve.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I know that everyone here is well familiar with the wonders of the RZ67, but you might find these amusing:Intro to the RZ67 Pro II and Part II. Or maybe not.
Lucky me, I satisfied my 6x7 urges with the Mamiya 7 II, which is tiny by comparison and has one of the best WA lenses of all time - the 43mm f/4.5. But I digress.

Matt

Last edited: