The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Changes coming

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since my last communication.

Since there are many changes coming to the forum we decided to create this very section to share with you important updates and ideas. I have been watching the forum for the last year and now I am more confident about the changes needed.

We have tried to expand the forum into a more creative realm but it appears that there is little interest in this area. I understand that. It has always been a strictly technical forum and it makes sense if it remains as such. After experimenting with some creative sections we decided to remove them and clean and simplify the forum navigation. There is no question that the main focus of the forum is medium and large format - this is where our focus is going to be going forward.

You will see some changes on weekly basis - some things may go wrong - as it is always the case when changes are being made. I will be updating you regularly and discuss some of them. Stay tuned.

Thank each one of you for your participation in this forum and for your support. Thank you for your messages and emails.

pegelli

There is no question that the main focus of the forum is medium and large format - this is where our focus is going to be going forward.
I hope you don't mind a contrarian voice to this statement. There is indeed a large population who come here for medium and large format but there is also a significant population and wealth of images presented in other (smaller) formats. While I do appreciate the medium format contributions (mostly the images posted) I wouldn't come here if there wouldn't be a significant population, discussion and photos posted of cameras that use smaller sensors. So please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and cater for a broad photographic population and not only for those who use a sensor which is larger than X x Y mm since X and Y are arbitrary choices which have in my opinion little meaning in the overall field of photography.

I do understand why you want to have different sections in the forum based on brand/sensor size but then (and maybe you're already planning that) you should move the Leica M/SL and smaller Leica formats out of the Large and Medium format section and move the Fuji 33 x 44 sensor cameras into it. Both seem to be in the wrong place at the moment.

Last edited:

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you don't mind a contrarian voice to this statement. There is indeed a large population who come here for medium and large format but there is also a significant population and wealth of images presented in other (smaller) formats. While I do appreciate the medium format contributions (mostly the images posted) I wouldn't come here if there wouldn't be a significant population, discussion and photos posted of cameras that use smaller sensors. So please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and cater for a broad photographic population and not only for those who use a sensor which is larger than X x Y mm since X and Y are arbitrary choices which have in my opinion little meaning in the overall field of photography.

I do understand why you want to have different sections in the forum based on brand/sensor size but then (and maybe you're already planning that) you should move the Leica M/SL and smaller Leica formats out of the Large and Medium format section and move the Fuji 33 x 44 sensor cameras into it. Both seem to be in the wrong place at the moment.
Thank you for your feedback. It is always very helpful. Having said that, we can't be everything to everyone. The industry is very challenging and people want everything for free. In order for GetDPI.com to stay relevant or even alive, we have to have a clear direction and focus. I am well aware that it won't make everybody happy but I have no doubt that drastic changes are needed. Once again, I appreciate your thoughts.

pegelli

Thanks for the response Olaf, does your focus on medium and large format mean that you will close down the parts of the forum that show and discuss photographs taken with smaller sensors, or will they remain in place but with less support from the GetDPI staff?

anyone

Maybe one section for the smaller formats? Would be indeed sad to lose the possibility showing images made with smaller format cameras. In the end, most of us like taking pictures with different cameras.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the response Olaf, does your focus on medium and large format mean that you will close down the parts of the forum that show and discuss photographs taken with smaller sensors, or will they remain in place but with less support from the GetDPI staff?
We are currently debating this issue.

4season

There is no question that the main focus of the forum is medium and large format - this is where our focus is going to be going forward.
I wonder if the FF-and-smaller fora have suffered from being too brand-specific, whereas Medium Format is unified.

pegelli

I wonder if the FF-and-smaller fora have suffered from being too brand-specific, whereas Medium Format is unified.
Maybe, but if you correct for Leica in the MF section while actually more than half of that is FF or smaller then FF and smaller posts are still more than all MF+ together.

So by dropping anything smaller than MF they might cut off more than half the input........

I wonder what direction the "debate" is going.

4season

Maybe, but if you correct for Leica in the MF section while actually more than half of that is FF or smaller then FF and smaller posts are still more than all MF+ together.

So by dropping anything smaller than MF they might cut off more than half the input........

I wonder what direction the "debate" is going.
Well, kudos to @olafphoto for wanting to try something, because I get the sense that traffic on this and pretty much every other photo-related site has shrunken to a fraction of what it was a decade ago. But ironically, I think the site has become more focused on creativity in unexpected ways: Folks seem to enjoy the "Show us your [camera brand] photos" threads, with no specific themes. Even the brand references might be easily forgotten were it not for the way the current fora are structured.

It's easy enough to test a web site concept by spinning up a new instance of the forum software. And if it succeeds, it could become the new GetDPI. And if it flails, it can just as easily be quietly forgotten, with the existing site continuing to operate without interruption.

I own plenty of medium format film gear. And I am not particularly opposed to the possibility of someday owning a Fujifilm GFX or Hasselblad X-camera. But it doesn't feel like an "essential next step in my evolution as a photographer", whatever that may be. But that's just me: Maybe others are craving a new sandbox to play in.

In the event that FF-and-smaller content is phased out here, where shall we migrate, in order to continue with the "Show us your [whatever] photos"?

pegelli

think the site has become more focused on creativity in unexpected ways: Folks seem to enjoy the "Show us your [camera brand] photos" threads, with no specific themes. Even the brand references might be easily forgotten were it not for the way the current fora are structured.
I fully agree, I just check "what's new" and take a look at all the new posts that contain photo's. I don't care at all what format or brand they're taken with, for me it's 100% what the final result looks like. So if he site would morph into fully brand agnostic and simply deviding MF, FF, APS-C, M4/3, smaller I think that would make no difference to me (or might even be an improvement)

In the event that FF-and-smaller content is phased out here, where shall we migrate, in order to continue with the "Show us your [whatever] photos"?
I'm also a member of two "brand specific" fora (Sony and Leica), I guess if FF/smaller is phased out here that would be the only places I would stay involved in. But I firmly believe it would be a mistake if GetDPI would abandon anything smaller than MF. For instance the idea to focus more on printing is equally applicable to all sensor formats, so I really question what they would gain by only limiting to larger sensor formats.

Knorp

Well, kudos to @olafphoto for wanting to try something, because I get the sense that traffic on this and pretty much every other photo-related site has shrunken to a fraction of what it was a decade ago. But ironically, I think the site has become more focused on creativity in unexpected ways: Folks seem to enjoy the "Show us your [camera brand] photos" threads, with no specific themes. Even the brand references might be easily forgotten were it not for the way the current fora are structured.

It's easy enough to test a web site concept by spinning up a new instance of the forum software. And if it succeeds, it could become the new GetDPI. And if it flails, it can just as easily be quietly forgotten, with the existing site continuing to operate without interruption.

I own plenty of medium format film gear. And I am not particularly opposed to the possibility of someday owning a Fujifilm GFX or Hasselblad X-camera. But it doesn't feel like an "essential next step in my evolution as a photographer", whatever that may be. But that's just me: Maybe others are craving a new sandbox to play in.

Now I'm all in for structured fora (what's keeping you, Olaf ?), but firmly reject the idea of amputating the smaller sensor sections in favour of an elite MF-only photography forum.
No kudos here (yet), just my two florins ...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I agree with my learned friend Knorp. While top-heavy with MF users (like me) there should a place for smaller formats like Leica (again like me!). I doubt there are many MF folks here who don't also have smaller foam cameras.

I have to say the sense of camaraderie in this forum is its greatest strength - whatever the format.

f6cvalkyrie

I am engaged in all the levels of photographic gear : from a SINAR P2/f hybrid over 2 Phase One DF's with a selection of SK and Mamiya lenses, to an Olympus Micro 4/3 camera, the previous E-MX flagship and I even shoot quite often with my 'vintage' IPhone7 ...

I post regularly in the sections, in both gear related and gear agnostic topics.

I would regret to see like the micro4/3 thread banned just because it is too small a sensor size ... nowadays, there are regular posting from several members, and I think the quality is good.

I do think however that some sections could be reorganized beneficially to everybody.

Happy holidays to all of you, and peace on earth asap please !
Rafael

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It has always been a strictly technical forum and it makes sense if it remains as such.
I disagree. This forum used to be extremely technical, but has become increasingly centred around the image. Interestingly, although there are many excellent photos in the medium format forum, I find the quality of the images to be equally high in some of the other subforums. Removing certain formats or brands is in my view the equivalent of removing all that is not oil paintings from an art museum. The diversity is one of the factors that has made, and still makes, this such a great forum. Many people here use multiple brands, formats and media. Limiting their exposure here would push some of them out and make this forum weaker, not stronger.

cunim

I have only recently returned to this forum. Why? Because it has attracted a courteous membership at all skill levels, and I feel comfortable showing images here. Really, it's the people and I would suggest keeping as many of them as the moderators can handle.

I spend 95% of my time in the MF section while skimming what is less interesting to me. However, it is nice to know that, when I do pull out the Sony, I can place those images into the same friendly atmosphere.

I worry that a reduction in diversity and a change in focus will only make this site less attractive. Deep technical discussions and a printing focus, for example, didn't help LuLa. What brings members to a board like this is the opportunity to have our shots in view of someone other than a significant other. Use that desire for exposure. For example, create threads that show the-best liked images of the past month, quarter and year. Something a bit more effortful would be to create a commentary thread. Regular posters would be requested to offer thoughts about a few favourite images. This is a relatively minor expansion of the "like" system we have now. A more difficult option - link to a few well regarded professionals and gallery owners. They could select posted images for a technical commentary thread and be paid piecework. Members could subscribe to this professional commentary program by paying a yearly fee that would fund the moderation payments.

The common thread here is that people enjoy and learn from positive commentary. They might be attracted to a board that offers a richer environment for such commentary.

lightnmagic

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since my last communication.

Since there are many changes coming to the forum we decided to create this very section to share with you important updates and ideas. I have been watching the forum for the last year and now I am more confident about the changes needed.

We have tried to expand the forum into a more creative realm but it appears that there is little interest in this area. I understand that. It has always been a strictly technical forum and it makes sense if it remains as such. After experimenting with some creative sections we decided to remove them and clean and simplify the forum navigation. There is no question that the main focus of the forum is medium and large format - this is where our focus is going to be going forward.

You will see some changes on weekly basis - some things may go wrong - as it is always the case when changes are being made. I will be updating you regularly and discuss some of them. Stay tuned.

Thank each one of you for your participation in this forum and for your support. Thank you for your messages and emails.

Look at your hand some our medium some are large and some fingers are small.....whenever you want to take decision and not sure do as nature and flow with that ...you will hear the answer from within .

f6cvalkyrie

I agree with Jorgen's comparaison with the museum and the oil paintings ...

Another important consideration not to be forgotten, the "suction factor" ...

When I first found this place, I was a 100% micro4/3 shooter, 100% amateur ... I immediately liked the level of technical knowledge available and the friendly communication between members ... and the beautiful images in all of the sections ...
As such, I learned about the digital medium format cameras (I had a Mamiya C220 40 years ago, but it was stolen from me), got interested and quietly sat waiting and searching for an opportunity to buy into digital MF at a price within my budget ...

It was a long wait, but finally the member Pemiham showed up selling a Mamiya DF with a P30+ back and a SK 80mm lens in the B/S section, at a price I could afford ...
So here I was, happily shooting digital MF ... and since Capture One was free of charge when operated in combination with Phase One images, I installed that software on my computers ...
I was happy with C1 so I decided to buy it to be able to edit my micro4/3 images too ... I still edit all my images with C1
I went on the hunt for some more lenses, and now I am the happy owner of 7 MF lenses ... I agree, I suffer from a mild form of GAS)

If it hadn't been for GetDPI, I would never have gone that way ... and I do not think that I am the only one here who bought cameras, lenses, tripods and all kinds of other accessories because they learned about them here in the first place ...

So I can definitely say that this "open to all photographers" place sucked me into digital MF and spending quite a lot of money on photographic gear, which, in the end is good for the industry and thus also for the sponsors here .... last but not least, thanks to GetDPI, I also subscribed to MediumFormat and Elements.

Merry Christmas to all of you !
Rafael