The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Compact Prime 15mm to 21mm for Sony A7r iv

Greg Haag

I am wanting to get a compact prime 15mm to 21mm for my Sony A7r iv. I am looking for very good image quality, but beyond that size is my priority. I am considering one of the Voigtlander's but hope to get some feedback from someone who has already gone down this road.
Thanks in advance!
Greg

Greg Haag

Well after going thru some of the FM reviews, I gave up on the compact prime and decided to go with the Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM.

ggibson

From what I've read, the GM is the pinnacle of fast UWA zooms, and it is impressively compact for all that it offers.

If size is more of a priority, the Voigtlander primes are excellent also. I have the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III for Sony and it's a lovely little lens that punches way above its weight class. I don't think it's quite at the GM level of sharpness, but it is quite good on my A7rII. A fine little gem of a lens to have as an alternate if you find the GM weighing you down.

Greg Haag

From what I've read, the GM is the pinnacle of fast UWA zooms, and it is impressively compact for all that it offers.

If size is more of a priority, the Voigtlander primes are excellent also. I have the Voigtlander 15/4.5 III for Sony and it's a lovely little lens that punches way above its weight class. I don't think it's quite at the GM level of sharpness, but it is quite good on my A7rII. A fine little gem of a lens to have as an alternate if you find the GM weighing you down.
Thanks Graham! I have had the Voigtlander 15 in my shopping cart twice and just not pulled the trigger, your feedback may be the nudge I was needing.

ggibson

One caveat on the CV15 is that there's some sample variation with regards to corner performance, so buy where you can return or test beforehand. My first copy had some corner smearing which some of these lenses have. I sold it and bought another copy which I was able to see samples beforehand. I bought used and also appreciated that the seller had the built-in petals professionally removed by SK grimes so that it could take step-up filters. Very happy with this second copy. I also have the Tamron 17-28/2.8, which is a small lens in its own right at 420g, and offers both autofocus, a wider aperture, and similar image quality. But I find the CV15 to be worth keeping around for those times when I want to travel as light as possible.

Greg Haag

One caveat on the CV15 is that there's some sample variation with regards to corner performance, so buy where you can return or test beforehand. My first copy had some corner smearing which some of these lenses have. I sold it and bought another copy which I was able to see samples beforehand. I bought used and also appreciated that the seller had the built-in petals professionally removed by SK grimes so that it could take step-up filters. Very happy with this second copy. I also have the Tamron 17-28/2.8, which is a small lens in its own right at 420g, and offers both autofocus, a wider aperture, and similar image quality. But I find the CV15 to be worth keeping around for those times when I want to travel as light as possible.
Thank you for all the helpful insight Graham!

gurtch

If you have not already pulled the trigger, I will complicate the mix: consider the Sony 12 ~ 24mm f4 lens. Smaller, lighter, and one stop slower. I have made 20"x30" prints from A7riv files with this lens. It's knock is it has a reputation for lens flair when shooting into the sun. I avoid this situation and am very pleased with this lens. At one time I owned the Voigtlander 12mm, Sony 16-35, and Sony 24-105. I traded the 12mm and 16-35 for the 12-24, so I now cover focal lengths from 12mm to 105m with one less lens in my bag, without sacrificing image quality.
Dave in NJ