The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill and DP Quattro Images Compared

bensonga

I will try to take some comparison shots in the next week or so and I’ll share them in a separate thread here.
Gary
I did not have a tripod with me on the day I took these photos with my DP3M and dp3Q, so the framing is not exact, but I did shoot them at the same aperture and tried to get exposures that were very close. In some cases I've adjusted the brightness level slightly in post-processing. These are very close to straight OCC images from the JPG files (ie I did not process the X3F files in SPP). I simply re-sized the images to 2048 pixels on the long side for posting here. I'll try to take a few more shots in the days ahead when I remember to take a tripod with me.

If anyone else has both the Merrill and Quattro versions of the 0, 1, 2 or 3 cameras perhaps they would like to post some comparison images here too.

Personally, I'm happy with the results from both cameras.

Gary

All of these were shot at ISO 100 and at f8.

DP3M
_P3M0525 Graffitti Cropped P2048 DP3M.jpg

dp3Q
SDIM0056 Graffitti Cropped P2048 DP3Q.jpg

DP3M
_P3M0510 AK RR XING P2048 DP3M.jpg

dp3Q
_DIM0041 AK RR XING P2048 DP3Q.jpg

Last edited:

bensonga

Here are a couple more comparison shots. On this day I brought a tripod. Both images were shot at ISO 100, 1/400th at f8. I processed the X3F files in SPP 6.8.2 using the default X3F settings. The only SPP processing change I made to both images was to set the Color Mode = Landscape. It looked the most realistic to me. Images resized to 2048 pixels on the long side.

The slight color differences in these images is more apparent to me than in other photos I've taken with both cameras.

Gary

DP3M
_P3M0532 X3F AK RR Building v2 P2048.jpg

dp3Q
SDIM0064 X3F AK RR Building v2 P2048.jpg

ggibson

Interesting comparisons, thanks for posting.

At these reduced resolutions, I don't see much difference other than color in the crossing guard and building shots. The quattro sensor seems a bit more saturated or picking up some additional color tones, but it's minor. Did you have any observations at the pixel levels?

The shipping container shot showcases the strength of Merrill in creating realistic/emphasized textures.

bensonga

The relatively minor differences (in my opinion) in these particular images are more apparent at full resolution of course. From some of the comments I've read from other people about the Quattro sensor I expected to see more differences. Perhaps I just haven't photographed things/scenes where those differences would be most obvious.

Here are a couple of images that I think do show a bit more difference (mostly in the color rendition). These are 100% crops from the original images.

Once again: ISO 100, X3F raw files processed in SPP 6.8.2 using the default X3F settings.

Gary

DP3M
_P3M0514 X3F SPP6_8 Tree Trunk Cropped-2 Full Res P2000.jpg

dp3Q
SDIM0046 X3F SPP6_8 Tree Trunk Cropped-2 Full Res P2000.jpg