The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus bracketing Question X2D

Paul2660

As with Fuji, and Nikon etc when you shoot a Focus Bracket with the X2D, there is no option to put the images in a unique folder (at least that I can find), so all the images are grouped together on the card in the main folder. With Fuji I found an old app that allows you to find the sequence numbers via thumbnails so I can at least get the images per bracket figured out.

Phocus from what I can find, tells you nothing about a sequence and or that the images were part of a focus bracket.

Does anyone know of exif editor that will show this information on a 3Fr raw? I have tried "Fastraw Viewer" but it has no option for this. I need the viewer for a Mac.

I had hoped that with DJI's influence, Hasselblad would give the option to have separate folders per bracket. DJI allows this on their drone raws, for creation of a pano for example all the raws per pano are in a separate folder.

If you shoot many during a day, it's easy to get lost with all the raw, trying to remember which images were in a bracket. Only way I can figure now with the X2d is put a black from before and after each bracketing sequence, which will waste a lot of shots, not to mention the shutter on the lens and unnecessary use of the sensor.

Thanks
Paul

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Back in the day, the technique was to photograph your hand before and after every sequence, e.g., panorama for stitching or HDR.

Paul2660

Yup. That will work. What a waste. So easy to create a separate folder or give the file a more noticeable tag.
Paul

TechTalk

You can create a unique separate folder for any group of images you wish including a Focus Bracket Set. The instructions for doing this can be found on Page 79 under the heading "Creating Folders" in the current X2D user manual.

If you're not already in Image Browsing Mode (Page 75), push the Browse Button (pages 25–26) to enter it. From the default Standard Preview Mode (Page 76), scroll thru the various viewing levels to Folder Browsing Mode (Page 79) for the Primary Storage Slot (Page 99) selected.

"Enter Folder Browsing Mode and tap the icon on the upper right corner of the touch display to create a folder. Users can also toggle the front scroll wheel to select the icon and press the AE-L button or the rear scroll wheel to confirm." "Press the circle button to the right of the touch display to create a folder, or press the delete button to exit."

Create New Folder.png

TechTalk

I had hoped that with DJI's influence, Hasselblad would give the option to have separate folders per bracket.
Hasselblad has always included the option for users to create unique separate folders on a card or drive for batches of images. You'll find it included with every digital back and all the X System cameras they've ever made. They were including this functionality and feature before DJI existed.

peterm1

Might just be easier to take photos of your hand than going into the menu to create new folders for each bracket set, no? And downloading separate folders may also make more work on the back end in your software (or not depending on your workflow I guess). To each his/her own…

TechTalk

To each his/her own…
Individuals can use whatever methods they decide works best for their needs. I like to limit the number of images in any single folder, others may prefer to have a large number of images in one big batch.

It's good to have options.

Paul2660

My point about DJI is simply that it’s automatically done. How simple is that. I appreciate the ability to create a new folder each time. And may resort to that. However a simple one line addition to the menu system for focus bracketing “store completed sequence in new folder” would be a nice feature.

Paul

TechTalk

My point about DJI is simply that it’s automatically done. How simple is that. I appreciate the ability to create a new folder each time. And may resort to that. However a simple one line addition to the menu system for focus bracketing “store completed sequence in new folder” would be a nice feature.

Paul
If that's a feature you would like to see added, let Hasselblad know. In the meantime, at least you're now aware that you can create individual folders for batches of images at anytime for whatever purpose. Now your focus bracket images won't "get lost with all the raw, trying to remember which images were in a bracket."

I hope you found that information helpful.

Last edited: