The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Medium Format FILM Images!

gurtch

Originally posted this 9 years ago on Facebook. Hard to believe I made this image 45 years ago. My taste and technique have not changed! For those interested, I used a medium format Pentax 67. This image was made from a scan of the original negative. Given that I used medium format film (6x7 cm--2.25"x2.75") I can make very big prints of this image, one of my favorites. It was shot day after Thanksgiving on a trip to Beach Haven to visit my Mom. Memories! S140A.jpg

gurtch

Originally posted this 9 years ago on Facebook. Hard to believe I made this image 45 years ago. My taste and technique have not changed! For those interested, I used a medium format Pentax 67. This image was made from a scan of the original negative. Given that I used medium format film (6x7 cm--2.25"x2.75") I can make very big prints of this image, one of my favorites. It was shot day after Thanksgiving on a trip to Beach Haven to visit my Mom. Memories!

Attachments

gurtch

Austria

View attachment 208287

Rolleiflex 3.5F, Scan with GFX100s
Hi Friend: What setup are you using to scan with your GFX 100S? I use a Nikon Coolscan 8000 which I recently had CLA'd. I hesitated to attempt to camera scan my negs as getting the camera film plane perfectly aligned with the film holder target was a daunting thought. That, plus when I wanted to use the camera, I would have to disassemble the setup, then set it up again to scan. I like the above image very much.
Cheers
Dave in NJ

anyone

Hi Dave,

thank you, glad you like the picture!

We had the topic about camera scanning a while ago here at GetDPI - just check out my summary here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index....film-with-mf-digital-system.68450/post-816667 .

That said, I'm normally using my film scanners, the Coolscan 8000 and Flextight Precision II. I enjoy that they scan in the background while I can do other things, and the quality is more than adequate for my printing needs. However, I was curious to try out scanning with the GFX with a minimum investment. I had everything but the light source anyways, so why not try it?

I bought the light source (Kaiser Slimlite Plano), used the Flextight film holders, took a solid (!) Gitzo metal tripod, mounted the center column with a geared Manfrotto head in 90° angle, took out my Digitar 80 and mounted it on a Minolta macro rail. I used a mirror for aligning the camera. It's very simple indeed and I was a bit skeptical before: Place a mirror where the film would be, align the camera that the center of the lens is in the center of the image. I verified later that the grain is sharp over the frame. I didn't stitch, so I took just one shot per image. I tethered via USB to my computer.

The scanning procedure is very different from a film scanner. One needs to align each single image, which is a bit annoying. The setup took time. The scanning itself is rather quick per image, but you are involved the entire time. Of course, everything could be simplified with a repro stand. I just do not own one and didn't want to purchase it for this experiment.

What I very much like about the outcome is that you have a modern GFX100s raw to work with. What a relief from ancient scanning software! I also realized that the image looks rather grainy. I may scan the same image on my flextight just to see whether this is because of the film or because of the light source. There was no space in between light source and negative, so any structure of it most likely will be found in the image.

The raw files as results are fantastic. The rest not so much.
Will I do it again? I'm not quite sure. It was an experiment.

Last edited:

gurtch

Thanks for the info. Wonder how using an old fashioned slide copier like the “Nikon F Slide Copier” would do? Nice condition ones for sale on eBay for around $30 -$40.

abruzzi

Thanks for the info. Wonder how using an old fashioned slide copier like the “Nikon F Slide Copier” would do? Nice condition ones for sale on eBay for around $30 -$40.
I use a Pentax macro bellows with a 50mm macro lens and a full frame pentax (K-1ii) to scan 35mm. it works quite well and I can scan a 36 exposure roll in about 20 minutes.

abruzzi

the trick is most of those setups were designed in the film days for copying slides, so they work best with the same size sensor, APS-C cameras can be problematic--they need a longer lens than 50 and frequently may not be able to focus correctly. But for full frame they work well, and are best with a manual focus 50mm macro lens.

JaapD

Louvre Museum, Paris, France
Hasselblad 500 C/M
Zeiss Planar 80mm
Fuji Acros 100 (I)
A real stunning image! If it were me I'd crop off the lower section of the image with the dark wall. It distracts more than it adds if I may say so. But that's just my own personal preference, and we're not in the 'image review' section of this forum, right? ;)

Cheers,
JaapD.

tenmangu81

A real stunning image! If it were me I'd crop off the lower section of the image with the dark wall. It distracts more than it adds if I may say so. But that's just my own personal preference, and we're not in the 'image review' section of this forum, right? ;)

Cheers,
JaapD.
Thanks Jaap !! This is the question I had before posting, you are right. I just kept the bottom of the image (with the wall) because of the statue which was looking at the others at the upper stage. But maybe I was wrong, and a crop is always possible !!