The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Soup is our “First Foot” in the 2024 thread. A worthy first-footer indeed. While he didn’t bring a bottle of whiskey as a traditional gift, I suggest he can be forgiven the oversight and that all the luck he bestows will be all that matters.

If I sound completely insane, “first footing” is a Hogmanay /New Year’s tradition in Scotland, and probably elsewhere, where the first guest that passes your threshold after midnight of the new year sets the tone for the other 364 days. Your year goes much, much better if they bring whiskey or cake too :D .
I'll let him know. Next year, kitty, Lagavulin.

lookbook

Uwe – at this stage you are just trolling ... seriously.

I cannot follow your comments and it seems you just want to antagonize although you don't see that you are making a fool of yourself on top of making a weird joke about being disconnected from the website and posting a weird blurred shot you made with your Fuji at an event.

And then you mention something weird about me needing to give my raws to someone so they can process them ... what's this all about?

The crops are both sharp, the images are sharp and the TC + X shutter system works flawlessly.

At the same time, you manage to get blurry shots with the image stabilized AF of the Fuji GFX. That's more difficult to achieve than getting a sharp image from an Alpa TC hand-held, I'd say.

Great.
... i'm trying to help Paul!
take a look at the pictures on page 66, some of which were taken with identical equipment -
and draw your own conclusions - or not.

i don't have to care now.

Uwe

Paul Spinnler

Uwe – you don't get it. I post 500 pixel width shots. If one uploads 1200 pixel width shots they are sharper when resized by the browser.

I deliberately keep the pictures small ... I use a screen grab tool which has a snippet preset at a small size and I just post that ...

diggles

Uwe – you don't get it. I post 500 pixel width shots. If one uploads 1200 pixel width shots they are sharper when resized by the browser.

I deliberately keep the pictures small ... I use a screen grab tool which has a snippet preset at a small size and I just post that ...
Not helping people's impression of your pictures. Just sayin…

B L

iphone 12 | 4400x3400
impression of sharpness?
... the sun has already set -
on the beach you can see the couple's dog in the sand ...
seagulls in the sea, in the air and on the beach
You could have fooled me by not mentioning iPhone. Was is not a Sinar 8X10? !
Looks like small formats are catching up.

diggles

I will see what the optimal upload size is. I got frustrated at the upload limitation at one point. When I initially posted it was always too big and now I have this new screen clip tool which lets me avoid saving images from Photoshop, but directly copy paste a snip from a screen excerpt with a quick copy paste action.

I think the screen grab tool also saves it in a compressed jpg format to memory. I'll see if I can improve the quality by changing the approach.
Same here, Uwe seems to have figured out how to best sharpen images for sharing on the forum, but I always struggled with it too. This is why I started using Flickr to host photos that I share on the web.

Before I upload photos to Flickr I use a popular web resize and sharpening action developed by Alex Nail. I would share the link, but I just searched for it and it is returning a 404 page. Not sure if this is ok to share it, but what the heck… I have it saved here in a sync.com folder: https://ln5.sync.com/dl/04cea6b90/tz9tqnaa-hdmt5tyu-er6zkvna-wh6smk9t

It is a treat. Basically a Photoshop action that is super simple to use, with instructions for making your own sizes. I use it ALL THE TIME.

Here is a FB post about it…

Ray Harrison

I'm a bit nervous following in the footsteps of Soup, but if I don't post this image now I may never :D

Over the summer I made an image of this same grain elevator with the Schneider 43XL. Since I'm all into the Fuji 30mm TS right now, I thought it would be fun to revisit.

Nunn Elevator Revisited - GF 30mm TS by Warren Diggles, on Flickr
Excellent! I'll try and make it over to Nunn. I love a lot of the grain elevators and other interests in eastern Colorado.

jng

I'm a bit nervous following in the footsteps of Soup, but if I don't post this image now I may never :D

Over the summer I made an image of this same grain elevator with the Schneider 43XL. Since I'm all into the Fuji 30mm TS right now, I thought it would be fun to revisit.

Superb image, Warren! Keep showing us pictures of - er, from - your old flame! In the meantime, I will do my best to get off my butt and do justice to this nascent thread.

Happy new year to all!

John

diggles

Excellent! I'll try and make it over to Nunn. I love a lot of the grain elevators and other interests in eastern Colorado.
Thank you Ray!

Are you familiar with Alex Burke Photography? His 4x5 film photography of eastern Colorado is fantastic.

It wasn't until after I made a few images of old grain elevators that I found his work. Now it's hard not to seek out locations that he has photographed so well.

rdeloe

This image is riveting Warren. You've elevated the photographic conversation. These go against the grain.

Now that I have those bad puns out of my system, a serious question: are those elevators round, and I'm seeing wide angle distortion, or are they actually oval? The middle one looks oval and wouldn't show wide angle distortion anyway, so I'm guessing they really are oval?

rdeloe

This image is riveting Warren. You've elevated the photographic conversation. These go against the grain.

Now that I have those bad puns out of my system, a serious question: are those elevators round, and I'm seeing wide angle distortion, or are they actually oval? The middle one looks oval and wouldn't show wide angle distortion anyway, so I'm guessing they really are oval?
OK, I answered my own question. The middle one is oval but the others are round and their shape is changing because of the rise! Dh'o.
Thank you Google Maps. ;)

diggles

Lol! The middle one is oval, but the others are basically round with a few bulges here and there. I'm standing close so the silos on the end definitely show wide angle distortion, not sure how to fix that.

I did take this 'unedited' shot from across the highway. Basically the same spot as the one taken with the 43XL, which makes the wide angle effect much less noticeable.
DSCF3434.jpg

rdeloe

Lol! The middle one is oval, but the others are basically round with a few bulges here and there. I'm standing close so the silos on the end definitely show wide angle distortion, not sure how to fix that.
This is definitely not my specialty, but I would think the only way to reduce that is to be shooting from the basket of a cherry picker truck at about half the height of the elevator. The elevators at the edges would still show wide angle distortion, but I would think the effect you get from the rise would be reduced?

Anyway, lovely image! I do like old machinery and industrial sites. This one is from my most recent (and last!) "I think I'm going to take up 4x5 again" period a few years ago. These are the tanks from the Sleeman Brewing and Malting Company in Guelph. I was standing across the street -- not trespassing! -- and a guy from the company came out to see what I was doing. When I told him I was making a photograph, he rolled his eyes and walked away. Clearly not an art lover! ;)

Side note: these tanks are round, and this was a 180mm lens on 4x5 with lots of rise. You can see the same circle-to-oval distortion.

R. de Loe 20190620-DSCF5260-Pano.jpg