The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Live view support for Capture One for iPad / iPhone Version 2.3.0

Paul Spinnler

The SoC needs to be updated to concurrently allow for high speed WIFI, Bluetooh, trigger, X shutter control and EVF / video live streaming. Add a good battery.

Then you have sth really cool.

Finally I got almost everything working. I didn't have the latest ios installed even though I was pretty sure I did :)
However, I don't have a live view button. Can someone confirm that live view works with IQ4 or will it be another disappointment.

Whisp3r

Just got a reply from Capture One support.
No live view support for IQ4.
☹

Well, that's odd. I can connect to the IQ4, I can control the back, and I can activate live view. Am I doing something wrong? :LOL:
However: I currently don't have a camera/lens combo to attach the IQ4 to. So when activating live view, obviously I'm getting a black screen. When I trigger the camera, black RAW files are transfered to the iPad :) Normally, I'll be receiving a lens/cam combo by the end of March so I'll test again as soon as possible.

I can also hook up the GFX100 II to the iPad using USB and activate wireless on the IQ4, and both show up as cameras I can connect to in C1 mobile. I can connect and disconnect each camera at will, no crashes or weird behaviour so far. I can shoot a small video with my phone if anybody wants to see it in action.

Whisp3r

Finally I got almost everything working. I didn't have the latest ios installed even though I was pretty sure I did :)
However, I don't have a live view button. Can someone confirm that live view works with IQ4 or will it be another disappointment.
I see the live view button and I can push it, the app will go in live view mode. I can also control the camera settings from there.
As per my other comment: I wish somebody in my area had a camera body + lens lying around, I could tell you for sure whether the live feed of the IQ4 actually makes it to the iPad.

Argh... I just realised I don't even need a body/lens! *faceslap* The live view should reflect the change if I remove the IQ4 cover, it should go from pitch black to white. Hold on a sec!

Whisp3r

Okay, live view is FUBAR. I repeat...

The live view screen stays pitch black even after I remove the protective cover of the IQ4. I can still control the camera, trigger it, change settings, etc.. But no live view.

Now where's that feature request page... 🙃

Paul2660

Hate to be a hater but it’s amazing that in almost 5 years P1 can’t get a 1 and done solution for live view on a IQ4. I m not a fan of Cascable. Looks like it will take the IQ5 to get there. Not a solution for me.
Paul

BFD

Hate to be a hater but it’s amazing that in almost 5 years P1 can’t get a 1 and done solution for live view on a IQ4. I m not a fan of Cascable. Looks like it will take the IQ5 to get there. Not a solution for me.
Paul
Pretty sure it is a hardware issue. When they hurriedly introduced the IQ4 and decided they would roll out features as they had time to properly implement them, they did not realize whatever wifi/video component they decided to put in the back actually cannot do what we need. They keep promising live view, etc. but obviously cannot figure it out and are probably trying to program/hack around some limitation in the components they used in the back. The system in the IQ3 works flawlessly so at this point any high school kid could have just ported that code over to the IQ4 but it's not that simple since the IQ4 hardware is the problem. You won't see a good solution until the IQ5 (if they ever do one) at which point they could source a component that will work. This, of course, is all speculation but 5 years in I can't think of any other reason they can't get it done.

The sad thing is that Cascable can push a live view signal over both WiFi and ethernet for the IQ4. It can clearly be done.

The answer I got from C1 support

"There is a limitation with the IP protocol for the iPad and the connection if I recall correctly the reason behind this limitation."

I had mentioned earlier in the conversation that it works great in Cascable. But they don't seem to want to listen to it 😫

Well, that's odd. I can connect to the IQ4, I can control the back, and I can activate live view. Am I doing something wrong? :LOL:
However: I currently don't have a camera/lens combo to attach the IQ4 to. So when activating live view, obviously I'm getting a black screen. When I trigger the camera, black RAW files are transfered to the iPad :) Normally, I'll be receiving a lens/cam combo by the end of March so I'll test again as soon as possible.

I can also hook up the GFX100 II to the iPad using USB and activate wireless on the IQ4, and both show up as cameras I can connect to in C1 mobile. I can connect and disconnect each camera at will, no crashes or weird behaviour so far. I can shoot a small video with my phone if anybody wants to see it in action.
Could it be that you get the LV button because you also have your GFX plugged in at the same time?
Does it show up when you only have IQ4 plugged in?

Ray Harrison

"There is a limitation with the IP protocol for the iPad and the connection if I recall correctly the reason behind this limitation."

I had mentioned earlier in the conversation that it works great in Cascable. But they don't seem to want to listen to it 😫
Indeed, I had mentioned the same thing to them and also mentioned it again in closing out the ticket :cool: .

Mexecutioner

The sad thing is that Cascable can push a live view signal over both WiFi and ethernet for the IQ4. It can clearly be done.
Didn't Phase One commission this to Cascable since they either couldn't figure it out or simply didn't want to deal with it?

Perhaps they tasked Daniel and Tim at Cascable with this development and agreed not to add it to Capture One for a period of time in some sort of exclusivity deal, which also makes no sense as you can activate all of Cascable features fro free if you are using an IQ4.

Sad indeed as I find the interface of the Capture One for iPad app very pleasing and providing a lot of feedback that Cascable doesn't have. So it is definitely BS that there is an iPad / IP / whatever limitation.

Whisp3r

Could it be that you get the LV button because you also have your GFX plugged in at the same time?
Does it show up when you only have IQ4 plugged in?
Yes, it does. Even without the GFX plugged in. I can press the button, the live feed window shows up, but the feed itself stays black. I'll try to film it.

Mexecutioner

That doesnt mean you have liveview. I tested yesterday, with a camera and lens attached, and while I can pretty much adjust every setting on the IQ4 back from my iPad, Liveview isn't operational.

If you go to the setting menu and scroll down to live view you will see that the options to set liveview quality and liveview lightness are not present.

I would be interested to see what results you get when you get your camera and lens at the end of the month. I will connect another camera and see if the Liveview button "wakes up".

BFD

Pretty sure there is no iPad issue as I have many devices that can stream a live picture to my iPad. But, this does pretty much confirm my theory of inferior hardware implemented in the IQ4 without fully testing and now here we are.

Whisp3r

That doesnt mean you have liveview. I tested yesterday, with a camera and lens attached, and while I can pretty much adjust every setting on the IQ4 back from my iPad, Liveview isn't operational.

If you go to the setting menu and scroll down to live view you will see that the options to set liveview quality and liveview lightness are not present.

I would be interested to see what results you get when you get your camera and lens at the end of the month. I will connect another camera and see if the Liveview button "wakes up".
Correct, only the live view button shows up, that's about it. The live view screen is just black, and it stays black, even after removing the sensor cover. I don't think there's a feed at all.
The settings for live view quality and lightness are present but they are greyed out, non-selectable.
Interestingly enough, the GFX 100II doesn't have any live view tweaks in the settings menu.