The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Live view support for Capture One for iPad / iPhone Version 2.3.0

Ray Harrison

The video posted above shows a "Fit" button, pressing it opens a zoom control with + and -

Not the most intuitive and and extra steps but doable.
Yeah, the fit button isn't how we - or at least I - think of using a touch device and I provided feedback of that nature during beta testing. Hopefully a "native" touch device approach gets implemented.

Whisp3r

Perfectly communicated. So live view works with ethernet but not USB, or did I misunderstand that? I went and bought a USB-C phone in the hopes that I could soon connect it up to the IQ4.
If I try connecting the IQ4 to the iPad with a USB-C cable, C1 does not detect the digital back, so I assume USB is not supported on the IQ4, only WiFi and ethernet. But this should pose no problem, just use a USB-C to ethernet cable on the iPad end, connected to a regular ethernet cable (mind the category though) on the IQ4 end. Here's my cable:

IMG_6914.jpg IMG_6887.jpg

baudolino

I've been using the same setup with Cascable. Before I delve into the specs, what benefits are there to using C1 Mobile vs. Cascable when shooting?

Mexecutioner

If C1 doesnt crash as often as Cascable does, then that's reason enough for me. Files being transferred to the iPad at the moment of the crash get corrupted too.

Paul2660

So just to make sure I understand. If you are using the iPad and latest version of C1 mobile, live view now works as long as you have the Ethernet connection on the back and use the adapter to the apple traditional style plug.
When you fire the shutter will the image stay on the back? Or does it go to the iPad? I want it to stay on the back.
Does this also work for the iPhone with same cable and plug?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Ethernet is a simple standardized protocol to which you have direct access within iPadOS - USB-C is a lot more complex and the IQ4 also manages Ethernet. That's why its not implemented as USB-C to USB-C - it would require more custom coding while ethernet works across a lot of devices direct without device specific adjustments.

There are USB-C/Ethernet cables with have USB-C on one side and Ethernet on the other. I think that would be the ideal cable as having a dongle in-between is clumsy.

Not expecting IQ4 USB-C too soon.

1712851687080.jpeg

Last edited:

Whisp3r

So just to make sure I understand. If you are using the iPad and latest version of C1 mobile, live view now works as long as you have the Ethernet connection on the back and use the adapter to the apple traditional style plug.
When you fire the shutter will the image stay on the back? Or does it go to the iPad? I want it to stay on the back.
Does this also work for the iPhone with same cable and plug?

Thanks
Paul
On my iPad, there's no Apple traditional style socket (are you referring to Apple Lightning?), just a standard USB-C connection. So in such case you'd need a USB-C to ethernet adapter, like the one I'm using, in addition to a regular ethernet cable. Paul's solution, which is a straight USB-C to ethernet cable connection without any adapters, is definitely more elegant and less clunky, albeit at the cost of some flexibility (e.g. I can use a short ethernet cable if I intend to keep the iPad mounted to the tripod right next to the camera like you can see in my post above, or I can switch to a longer ethernet cable if I am working in tight spaces and prefer to keep the iPad out of my way).

The image will be transferred to the iPad as well as stay on the back.

I think it depends on the iPhone model. I have an iPhone 13 mini and it does not have a USB-C socket, it has Apple's traditional Lightning socket. So I would need a different cable. I can only share my experience for iPad, someone else will have to try the iPhone approach :)

akaru

I’m sure it’s more complicated and I know P1 spun off…but it’s still very uncool to not have the much faster usb working from “Capture One Inside” to Capture One “outside”. It runs Linux…figure it out. If they messed up with the boards they should just replace everyone’s, or give a special price for an IQ5 ;)

I do long shoots and usually keep the back plugged into an external battery pack, so I’ll try to see this as a positive as it keeps that port free.

Paul Spinnler

Besides this little update - it seems one doesn't get too much new features on an ongoing basis from C1 software for their hefty subscription ask, no?

Yes, they made a big fuss about AI masks, but that's now an old hat.

Bit surprised that there aren't faster software improvements. Its really not a good deal to be subscribed if the updates are just ok and happen only every few months. No?

C1 mobile is still very different from the full version for example and it looks like C1 is resource constrained somehow.

Maybe they fired too many people?

SOLID KUDOS to C1 on this--this will make my workflow much nicer. Just did some testing, and found a few useful things out:

1. Using AP mode on the IQ4150 results in glacially slow (3MByte/sec) transfers.
  2. Setting up a personal hotspot on the iPad and connecting the IQ4150 to it, or connecting to a real AP is much faster (~15MByte/sec in my office, in both cases). In an architectural/landscape workflow, this is acceptable, but I'm impatient, and...
  3. Ethernet->USBC is faster still (100MByte/sec; i.e. full GigE speeds).

One can, and should, test for latency on this by firing up Live View on C1, moving your camera around (if shooting a static subject), and seeing how quickly the LV window updates. If connected via Ethernet, I'm seeing nearly instantaneous results; if connected via Personal Hotspot, there's minor lag but still entirely usable.

At present, C1 really doesn't like untethering and retethering to the same device over a different network. In a quick test, it seems that C1 has issues properly tearing down a tethered connection completely on the IQ4150. Haven't tried this on my other cameras yet, but: if one is tethered via WiFi and you want to switch to Ethernet, restarting C1 is usually in order. The great thing about using Personal Hotspot as your base station for this is that you can use the "swipe down from right corner" Control Strip to turn your hotspot on and off (or do it on the back, which is probably more battery efficient). I'll probably throw a few bugs at C1 around this and send logs when I get a chance to test it better, but I suspect that support for Retether is probably part of what's going on.

[pauses to catch my breath and throw my old POCP hat and nerd glasses on...]

Now, a few notes on iPad-IQ4150 workflow in general, since folks are asking. I've been using an iPad Pro 13" (2021) as my daily driver for architectural shooting the last year, and it's in general been working really well. I'm usually shooting mainly solo/with client-provided stylists with the iPad tethered while hanging off the tripod on a magic arm.

1. The Ethernet connection is a bit of a bugger for those of us who wish that everything would connect via USB-C and you didn't have to travel with a fistful of f***ing dongles, but it's got a number of advantages, not the least of which is that Ethernet cables are cheap, reliable, and available everywhere and in various lengths.
  2. Not all USB-C to Ethernet dongles are supported on the iPad (or current Apple Silicon laptops). Apple silently deprecated some USB-C-Ethernet dongle drivers in recent macOS and iPadOS, so a device that was happily supported pre-Big Sur might not still be, and might not be on your iPad. Having used a 2017 Intel MBP as my tether device until about this time last year, I'm one to make sure there's at least a cheap docking adapter in every major bag I could possibly walk out my front door with that might contain my laptop, and about half of the adapters I owne(d) wouldn't light the Ethernet adapter up when I moved to an M1 Max laptop or connected them to my iPad. All would seem to indicate they've coalesced driver support between the two OS forks. So, if you're buying random Ethernet dongles off wherever, TEST FIRST before using them in anger, and make sure you're prepared to return what doesn't work. The usual "don't use cheap cables" digitech mantra also applies to dongles, particularly when a P1 back is involved.
  3. Ethernet tethering is a power hog, on both the iPad end and the Phase end. I've beat the crap out of my HyperJuice 245W battery on location and it keeps on happily powering everything. (I'm moving to ALogic's Ark, which is rated similarly, is about 15% smaller/lighter, and has a USBA port as well, which is nice for the few things I use on the road that still insist on charging via a USBA-USBC cable rather than USBC directly. Looking at you, Godox 200 charger! ;-). I've gotten through entire 8-10hr+ days on location with that setup without it even skipping a beat.
  4. While a male USBC to male Ethernet cable like the one @Paul Spinnler recommends above looks convenient, if you're doing long shoots, consider getting something that will let you also charge your iPad simultaneously. I usually use Belkin's USB-C/Ethernet and Charge adapter (https://www.belkin.com/usb-c-to-ethernet-charge-adapter/P-INC001.html) and it works great. So does the Anker 555 dock (https://www.anker.com/ca/products/a8383?variant=41698420949156) which also lets you plug in a USB-C camera or other device without disconnecting the dock, while charging from a power bank. I've also tested the 7-in-1 Dockteck (https://www.dockteck.com/products/usb-c-hub-7-in-1-usb-c-pd-ethernet); as a nice freebee, both of these docks also give you an easy way to ingest SD cards into C1 iPad on the road.
  5. All of these let you free up your back's USBC port for charging/external power. Which, with a power bank with 2 USBC outputs, you can and should do.
  6. In theory, the P1 back can also charge/power itself over Ethernet. USBC to PoE cables exist (that might also provide connectivity as well as power), but I've yet to test anything. If someone's come up with a USBC power splitter splitter that will also give you PoE + connectivity to the back on one cable and the ability to also charge your iPad, I'd love, love, love to know. (@buildbot, do you have anything hanging around? I seem to remember a thread on this...)

Paul Spinnler

Thanks for the very informative write up.

Question: Have you considered MB Air? If so, why the iPad? Just because the handling of the physical object is easier when moving around the location (ipad dangling vs. MB in a tether station or flat on a big arm)?

How is navigation in live view and do you miss crucial features from the fully fledged version?

For example - with full C1 you can do LCC in the field, use profiles, etc.

Ray Harrison

So Capture One for iPad certainly isn't up to what you get on the desktop yet, but it does give you some flexibility as to form factor. I would rarely do editing - personally - on a small device but C1 mobile does give me tie-backs to the desktop app for the work I do. I do miss, as a user, the full-fledged desktop experience. It will take them quite a bit of time to get there, I feel.

As for things like LCCs, I can capture the images with C1 mobile, but only apply them in Desktop.

Paul Spinnler

If you want tablet form factor and C1 you can still go the MS Surface route ... I exited Windows years ago, so this is out of the equation for me ... although that one use case always goes through my mind as a reason to get a Windows device.

The main reasons for me going for an iPad rather than an MBA13 (MBA15's weren't a thing yet) were:
- I already have a perfectly competent 14" M1 Max and didn't want to manage another laptop
- I also needed to upgrade my iPad at the time (the screen on my OG iPad Pro 10.9 was circling the drain), and I end up using Sidecar on the road a lot.
- Running a laptop off the side of a tripod is awkward, even though I used to do it all the time on an Inovativ DigiPlate, and you almost never need to use the keyboard on location anyway, so it's basically extra weight/opportunities to get banged around
- An iPad, particularly in a case, is much more tolerant to the occasional rain/splash--I work in the Pac NW and sometimes end up working outside in the wet.

Since I'm experienced enough (and script it anyway to apply all my LCCs after the fact), not having LCC support on the iPad isn't a huge deal, although I sure wouldn't mind it if C1 added it in. The biggest things I tend to miss are guides/grids, overlay, and focus indication. If I didn't already have a decade of tech cam under my belt to the extent that I can pretty much previz how LCC is going to affect an image (I'm shooting the Schneider 35 and 43, and the Canon 24, as my main lenses on a Cambo WRS), I'd be one to strongly consider either an MBA13 or a Surface just to be able to live preview LCCs and do focus indication. Since none of those things are deal breakers, the iPad is super convenient and gives me all sorts of convenience on the road that a second laptop wouldn't.

Paul Spinnler

Just saw that on dpreview: "Atomos announces Ninja Phone for connecting camera to iPhone for monitoring and recording", https://tinyurl.com/mv5bwb7t

Of any interest or use for us?
Well it will give you fluid live view which is great for handheld shooting. Ie Alpa TC with an X shutter lens or the XC. A bit more bigger the XT.

Besides this, I don't see much use as it just is a screen and the HDMI implementation in the IQ4 is not made to stream frameless video onto a recordng device.

The problem with the HDMI implementation is that it sucks to navigate within the huge image of an IQ4 - ie if you want to check critical focus. For that, you need to play with the screen in the back, etc.

Also when using the TC you need to release with a thumb press on the screen as you cannot trigger the back in any other way. The C1 implementation via ethernet should be more useful as you can trigger the back from the iPhone, I think, meaning no need to move your sight down onto the back LCD of the IQ4.

It for sure is worth a try if you own a TC, XT or XC though.

With the Z-Finder it might get a bit clunky in the field - would be great to see someone try that combo.

Last edited:

jduncan

I figured support for Liveview with the IQ4 was too good to be true. Maybe they decided to support the Canon 6D first, instead of their own "flagship" back. Go figure!
Hi,
I believe they are now different but under the same ownership since 2019 or 2020. I guess that they are trying to operate them so that the high-profit Software side does not lose business opportunities because is integrated with Phase One. Think about it like something similar to Japanese companies. Sony Sensors was not going to lose the iPhone just so the small Cell Phone division at Sony could get an exclusive. Clearly in Sony's case was an excellent call.

I guess that in the future Phase One will be a special client like Fuji was/is, but the board could change direction (if they did not do it already) at any moment.
Remember that they try the special relationship with Nikon too, but it did not work as planned.

I believe Capture One has enormous potential but they need to rewrite large parts of the software to make it better at multiprocessing, improve CC support, make it lighter etc.
They should act independently, search for investors for the expansion, and maybe even buy some AI firm, and truly support everybody even Hasselblad.

Only the Capture One board has all the numbers, so I maybe mistaken.

Best regards

Paul Spinnler

C1 has many other fish to fry before fixing IQ4 live view.

Earlier this year there were reports of people firings - at least in the PR dpt. - and the launch of the subscription side has been a pure PR desaster. The support forum threads were they discuss the intro of the subscription model are full of hundreds of negative comments. Even Kevin Raber has gone off in the comments with an anger fit, lol.

Another subscription ist just too much for many people who already subscribe to Photoshop and have LR as a result.

To justify their subscription the software would need to evolve a bit faster IMHO, there's so much they could do on C1 mobile as mentioned above or on the AI side.

So let's see how C1 evolves, but I have a feeling the subscription move hasn't evolved exactly as they had expected and on top they are struggling with bringing signifcant must have differentiators to the table so people really see the massive value add vs. LR ...

Interesting to see what they do ... I wish ofc we will get a fully featured mobile C1 with cool stuff like profiles, LUTs, LCC, distortion correction etc. all on the iPhone, but this will take a lot of time still, I feel. And trus USB-C connectivity.