The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AFD battery insert

Arutemu

Hello all,

I would like to tap the collective wisdom here. It would appear that the battery insert on my beloved Mamiya 645 AFD (Mk I) has decided it was time to check out. It completely fell apart. Plastic, pieces, metal springs - all burst apart in a glorious bout of self destruction. I will be trying to fix it myself by gluing it all back together, but I have no confidence. Hence my questions.

Is 645 AFD using the same battery insert as later iterations? (Phase One, DF, etc.) This Reddit thread seems to suggest that they will fit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Mamiya/comments/sh73jv
Since there are no inserts available on ebay, I am looking for alternatives. I found this, but I don't know if they are compatible:

In the event that this turns out to be compatible, how do I charge it? The oriignal AFD insert was for 6 AA batteries. The Amazon one seems to be rechargeable.

If I am on the wrong track here, does anyone know of any solutions?
Any help appreciated!

steve_cor

The batteries and charger are available at Capture Integration.

This li-ion battery is much better than the insert with AA batteries. I recommend it. It actually helps prevent lock-ups and other issues with the 645 AFD. However, I haven’t tried this one from Amazon. It’s cheap enough you could try it and let us know.

—Steve.

AndyPtak

For back up purposes I got a 9v USB power bank and put a barrel connector on the other end. The base plate of the Mamiya body has a female connector for it. Haven't had to use it yet though.

Arutemu

The batteries and charger are available at Capture Integration.

This li-ion battery is much better than the insert with AA batteries. I recommend it. It actually helps prevent lock-ups and other issues with the 645 AFD. However, I haven’t tried this one from Amazon. It’s cheap enough you could try it and let us know.

—Steve.
Thanks Steve. This is good to know, but it still does not answer my question: what will fit Mamiya 645 AFD?

steve_cor

Yes, the 645 AFD uses the same battery insert as 645 AFDII and 645 AFDIII.

There was an EJJI battery and EJJI charger where they changed the shape slightly, so a Phase One battery wouldn't fit in the EJJI charger. Both battery brands fit in the camera though. EJJI later stopped that with their version 2, so Phase One and EJJI batteries and chargers were interchangeable. Hopefully that problem is gone now.

EJJI has apparently gone out of business. I am glad to see this battery again for under $100, so I am going to order one. I already have an EJJI charger and a Phase One charger. I was not happy about $290 each for Phase One brand.

—Steve.