The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New MF camera from Gibellini

Paul Spinnler

No – but from the description it looks like especially Arca R users with R mount lenses which can easily be unscrewed will benefit from this.

It looks like (to be validated) that he basically supplies a more compact frame, plus own lens board and a compact helical system. This is cool for R people which can easily move all their stuff onto this one in case they want to do so. Essentially a better and smaller Factum w/o shift or an alternative to the Alpa TC with an easy self-mounting option.

You just need to unscrew the lens and mount it on the Gibellini lens board and screw it into the helical.

Cambo and Alpa for years made money by asking a fee to mount lenses in a non-user replaceable mounting of lenses, so similar like Arca R this addresses this. Phase One XT is the extrem version of this with basically the same optics marked up by 150% so P1 and Cambo can cash in in-between.

I always wished a smaller helical and easier way to swal lenses compared to the Arca R and have most Rodie HR in copal so this would be an easy transfer.

A dream for Arca R users.

Cambo and Alpa need to innovate with new products to drive demand ...

IF the new Hassy back has IS and fast readout it will be a very compelling system and a key reason to own Rodenstock HR lenses! That's what I like about them – they're compact little multi-use optical gems!

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Yes the luxury market is attractive because at the very top there are still people who just don’t care. It is the middle layer that is squeezed.

It is smart he basically rented into a CNC factory and helps them utilise capacities better and has therefore been able to build a product line with limited initial capital outlay for machinery as all is arranged with the production partner. If on a low volume basis he has on top high margins it is very attractive for him.

A lot is still unclear though – it sounds like he has an open mount system – meaning you could clip in your copal / AU tech cam lens and adjust the helical easily yourself; that would mean less money for him though, so the openness of his new system needs to be validated once he explains how it has been designed.

Maybe he also does it like everyone – 2k Gibellini mounting costs per lens ...?

Last edited:

buildbot

It is smart he basically rented into a CNC factory and helps them utilise capacities better and has therefore been able to build a product line with limited initial capital outlay for machinery as all is arranged with the production partner. If on a low volume basis he has on top high margins it is very attractive for him.
No need to rent even, places like xometry & hubs will make any cad design in several materials and ways for anything from one part to several thousand. It’s how I made my own (much less polished) version of this Alpa TC/SWC style micro-tech cam concept.

This looks like a great design from Gibellini

Paul Spinnler

Wow, the 8x10 from this guy looks like the steampunk version of this type of LF cameras.
It is a bit "special" stylistically, some people like it, some dont – he used a copy of the Philipps Explorer 8x10 for one of the field cameras as inspiration if my memory is correct.

FloatingLens

Maybe he also does it like everyone – 2k Gibellini mounting costs per lens ...?
I doubt Gibellini will offer this as a service. Coming from LF, the approach has always been DIY for lenses. Which is awesome news, if you want to use legacy glass, MF and movements.

Anyway, awesome find!

Paul Spinnler

I doubt Gibellini will offer this as a services. Coming from LF, the approach has always been DIY for lenses. Which is awesome news, if you want to use legacy glass, MF and movements.

Anyway, awesome find!
I would hope so too, but then the body costs 5k EUR ;).

I think it is great for Arca R people – they can just unscrew one or two lenses to use this handheld with a Hassy back. Very curious to see readout speed with the new Hassy back.

richardman

I was one of the first customers for his 4x5, and now I have the AG810 as well.

Almost certainly (without actual data), that the initial versions will not be in the premium gold plate category. I mean, it will be expensive, but probably not far from Cambo, or lower end of Alpa etc. The gold plate stuff will come later.

I suspect it will give a good competition to the existing players, who are generally using outdated tech and squeezing customers

Paul Spinnler

He confirmed on instagram:

1) No movements, may come later in new variant (I'd wait)
2) Hassy only for now, adapter for P1 may come later
3) Focused on Rodie HR lenses, primarily e.g. 50 HR
4) No electronics - cable goes into back like on the Alpa ergonomic grip with pin connector
5) Cannot see tilt – may be a deal killer for some; ideally in-body tilt like Arca would have been great

He clearly wants to position this as a luxury frame (silver and translucent elements, futuristic organic form) which fits well with the CFV100c design ... to essentially mount Rodie glass on Hasselblad backs.

The primary draw seems to be his unique Italian design and helical system + a compact body form to use Rodie glass, but in essence he is doing what the Alpa TC has been doing since soon 19 years ... (TC introduced in 2005) with the difference that there's no holistic system approach yet visible and that it seems a bit bulkier.

Also, unclear whether it will accept X shutter lenses which require an agreement with P1 and on top P1 backs ...

So if the new Hassy back is not useable via ES for hand holding you'd better fare with a more mature system, but a lot has yet to be seen from his promo materials which should be released soon it seems.

Pricing will also be a key market success factor – TC with handgrip is like 3.5k ish if I remember correctly. If he goes below or around that it may be interesting, if its 2k no brainer, if its 5k difficult ... with no shift, tilt, P1 back compatibility.

The design looks very cool, I must say. Curious to see the mount system in action, but it looks to me that without tilt /shift (even small rise) and especially without x shutter it will depend a lot on the ES of the Hassy on how useable this is. 15mm unilateral rise would have been great.

The dream compact camera IMHO borrows from the Alpa SWA (just rise and egonomic hand-holdable form) / XT (rotaback, small shift), but is smaller and has tilt ... XT users now pay dearly for this system design debacle in the XT world – P1 thought they could just skip tilt, but now they've backtracked big time with the tilt lineup.

A risk with Gibellini is that he might quickly iterate as clearly there's room for evolution here and he I think constantly develops, so I'd be annoyed to get this one and then 9 months later there's an MKII with tilt or some minimal rise.

Last edited:

TechTalk

More pics. Looks promising. A bit more info from replies to queries. It will take Hasselblad V backs. Both digital as well as film. Pricing still not out yet.

http://instagr.am/p/C2RwnBCIqaf/
Thank you for the link to the additional information and pictures!
not clear, but looks like probably no movements. It looks like an alternative to the Alpa TC.
Information and replies to inquires at the above link are directly quoted from Gibellini below...

Pre Order available shortly:

the new Gibellini DCG66 medium format camera that fit HB
[Hasselblad] digital backs and different kind of lenses, especially studied for the Rodenstock HR line.

this model is fixed in the future one with movements probably

there is no electronic on the camera, only a cable from the button to the back to send the impulse of the shooting. [like Alpa] The lens is manual focus of course and the shutter is on the HD digital backs or it’s possible to use mechanical leaf shutter on the lenses (COPAL 0 for example)

www.gibellinicamera.com

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

You are just repeating what I have written above - I have said this was from the instagram link … in part also based on questions I had asked him.

Do you have some pictures to share you have done with different Hasselblad cameras?

Last edited:

dj may

You are just repeating what I have written above - I have said this was from the instagram link … in part also based on questions I had asked him.

Do you have some pictures to share you have done with different Hasselblad cameras?
Paul, this looks like baiting from a troll, therefore I suggest ignoring it.

Last edited: