The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Remote Launches via Cascable

Paul2660

Thanks for the link.
One question:
Can you just view live view via the app, zoom into 100 percent to check focus and then fire the camera without sending a raw file to the phone? Sending raw file to my phone is not what I want to have to do.

Just need basic features of viewing to configure the shot and firing the camera.

Edit: Also the fact that it appears to only transfer the raw file ( worthless for me) and transfer times on 16bit (all intend to shoot) can be excessive, what about the already poor battery life of the IQ4. Phase one never got power sharing to work on the IQ4 so using this app I can see the battery life being terrible. Running a WiFi network, transfering huge files etc. As for using the 30mb sensor plus files, sure that will send files faster but I would never want to use them. Outdoors light changes fast as do conditions. This option would not work for me.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

onasj

Kudos to Phase One for releasing this important tool. From the product description:
“Tethered” Capture direct to your iOS device is now possible!

Cascable 6 is the first mobile application to allow for complete “Host Capture” with an IQ4. You can now transfer the full RAW file from your IQ4 to your mobile device, and even upload/backup to a cloud storage while in the field.” 👏👏

RogerM

After many, many months, there is a Remote App for controlling your Phase One IQ4 150. There are some positives to it, and yes, some negatives. Our own Brad Kaye has written a relatively concise examination of what to expect.

https://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq4-remote-application/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Kicking the tires on this app on an M1 iPad and it appears to work as described with a focus on the wifi tethered shooting experience using live view and the raw files. You've noted the forced raw workflow in your review. Is there a workaround to access just the jpeg files instead of waiting almost a minute to download and view the raw? Looking for the same basics as Paul.

Paul2660

I still can’t understand the need to have a raw file on a iOS device. If you use C1 to the level I do I can see ever wanting to use a iPad.

C1 can barely run now on a 8 way Macpro once you start using a number of layers with masks with IQ3 or IQ4 files. I can’t ever see it running with any significant performance in a smaller computer. Not to mention attempting to color manage the device.

Paul

Steve Hendrix

Kicking the tires on this app on an M1 iPad and it appears to work as described with a focus on the wifi tethered shooting experience using live view and the raw files. You've noted the forced raw workflow in your review. Is there a workaround to access just the jpeg files instead of waiting almost a minute to download and view the raw? Looking for the same basics as Paul.

After conferring with Phase One, it appears that transferring the raws automatically can be disabled, but not through Cascable. You must disable this in the IQ4:

Go to Storage Setup > Advanced Setup (make sure Storage Mode is set to Advanced) > Host Storage > Disable.

This changes a lot of our initial perspective. We had asked Phase One about this for the past 2 days, perhaps we were asking the wrong question and they assumed we were only asking if this could be turned off in Cascable, because they told us you could not disable raw transfer. But we now know that you can on IQ4. This is really important.

Steve Hendrix/CI

dchew

The app instructions say, "shutter speed from Cascable" on a technical camera, but I can't seem to get the slider to work. It is stuck on "Auto." Is there a way to change the electronic shutter speed from the app when using a technical camera?

Dave

The app instructions say, "shutter speed from Cascable" on a technical camera, but I can't seem to get the slider to work. It is stuck on "Auto." Is there a way to change the electronic shutter speed from the app when using a technical camera?

Dave
Same here.

tcdeveau

Dave
Dave, I think I read somewhere that for non-XT tech cams (copal, aperture only mounts) this has to be done from the back, but I'm sure the CI team will step in for clarification (or correction of my thoughts) shortly.

LCValla

After conferring with Phase One, it appears that transferring the raws automatically can be disabled, but not through Cascable. You must disable this in the IQ4:

Go to Storage Setup > Advanced Setup (make sure Storage Mode is set to Advanced) > Host Storage > Disable.

This changes a lot of our initial perspective. We had asked Phase One about this for the past 2 days, perhaps we were asking the wrong question and they assumed we were only asking if this could be turned off in Cascable, because they told us you could not disable raw transfer. But we now know that you can on IQ4. This is really important.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thank You for this answer this solved my problem as I don't need to download any file to my IOS device!

Lorenzo

Steve Hendrix

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve,
Are you sure about that? I could be missing something because I can’t figure out how to do it.
Dave

Ok, so after more conferring with Phase One, it appears that - out of the gate - there is manual exposure control only for XF/XT, and not yet for technical camera. They have stressed to me that this is just the start, get it out there and get it running, and then add more capabilities (they tell me they have a lot to add). It is certainly disappointing to hear that so many photographers who are using Arca-Swiss, Alpa, or Cambo Technical Cameras are disabled out of the gate for controlling ES.

While I am inclined to wonder if they will add this capability for non XF/XT Tech Cameras, it feels similar to the button pushing control feature for exposure when using Live View that was XF/XT only at first. So I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that this will come. But it is a bummer to have this announced knowing so many are going to have to continue waiting. IMO.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Confirmed that manual shutter control for ES will come for non XF/XT Tech Cameras. No date yet, of course, but it will likely be in the next release.

Steve Hendrix/CI

baudolino

Can you set the camera or the app to save Raw files to the XQD and transfer Jpegs through the app for review on an iPad? Like others have remarked, full size Raws take forever to transfer and there is no point having them on an iPad. But with presets avalaible in the IQ4's integrated C1, it would be very useful if the camera could output these processed Jpegs to Host. I tried to use a Toshiba Flashair SD card in the IQ4 to save jpegs and send the to the Shuttersnitch app on my iPad but this took forever...but basically, this is what I'd like to do with the new Cascable app.

Reactions: med

Ray Harrison

I was happy there was capability with my WRS 1600 / X-shutter lenses (LS). There's no reason it shouldn't have worked...but...I was nervous. :cool:

Steve Hendrix

Can you set the camera or the app to save Raw files to the XQD and transfer Jpegs through the app for review on an iPad? Like others have remarked, full size Raws take forever to transfer and there is no point having them on an iPad. But with presets avalaible in the IQ4's integrated C1, it would be very useful if the camera could output these processed Jpegs to Host. I tried to use a Toshiba Flashair SD card in the IQ4 to save jpegs and send the to the Shuttersnitch app on my iPad but this took forever...but basically, this is what I'd like to do with the new Cascable app.

I don't believe you can currently, but would not be surprised to see this fleshed out in an upcoming release.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

For me I'll take a pass. I would much rather have a cable remote connection if needed where I'm at 99% chance of nothing going wrong. When other features are added - who knows when - I'll take another look. Just seems to me that this very late feature could have had at least some other capabilities for tech users other than just a simple shutter release through a wireless handshake with my iPhone where lots could go wrong in the field.

Victor B.