The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

stiff Cambo sliding back

abruzzi

I got a Cambo sliding back--everything seems in great condition except sliding it is very stiff, like its lubricated with 50 year old Agfa grease. (if you've never owned and tried to focus an old Agfa Billy you probably don't get the reference...)

I'm not sure the best solution except maybe cleaning the channel, then applying some white lithium grease carefully, but I'm hyper cautious about putting anything oily near camera parts due to possible evaporating onto something optical, or even just oil running where it shouldn't.

Has anyone done a repair like this, any favorite material to use that won't cause issues later?

rdeloe

Have you contacted Cambo to see if they'll give you advice?

I've had to relubricate various parts. The key is to remove all the old grease before applying new grease. When applying new grease, the smallest amount you can use is the best. In the absence of advice on a grease from Cambo, white lithium would be my choice too.

abruzzi

I haven't checked with Cambo yet, I should, it does look to be a current product. I'm so used to gear from companies that don't exist anymore, I always expect to have to solve problems myself.

PeterA

1. Clean ( properly) and gently using microbe cloth and a few drops of acetone/alcohol after you think all gunk is gone.
2. Lubricate using very light oil (drops ) on a microfibre cloth ( eg hair clipper oil / sewing machine oil)

if still sticky

you have a wear / warp issue and to get down to extent you will need to make accurate repeat measurements along the ways using micrometer and gauge pins.

atb
Pete

foster_jb

Hi,

For my Arca Swiss sliding back, I use "dry lube" for mountain bike chains. It's a powder, and so it doesn't attract dirt. Worked great for me, and also on Arca Swiss Cube tripod heads.

John

Ben730

Take everything apart and then clean it thoroughly. Oil should not be necessary. You may even be able to use extremely fine sandpaper or steel wool to remove dirt. When you have reassembled everything, you need to readjust everything so that the screen and the back are exactly parallel. This can be a little time consuming as the screen and back adapter each have four screws.

abruzzi

they actually got back to me fairly quickly, and reccomended the lithium grease after a thourough cleaning. I've been using acetone that that seems to have already loosend it up significantly. there is one part I can't get to without disassembly, but I'm a little hesitant to go in there since its where the spring loaded lock is, and I'm cautious about taking something apart that could fling an important and tiny part across the room.