The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Z-mount 24-120

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Watching reviews of Z-mount Nikkors has become boring. They are all so good. It's just a question of choosing a focal and aperture range that is suitable. Anyway, here it is, the calmest camera reviewer out there, Ricci and the 24-120:

Unfortunately, it won't mount on my D2Xs or F80. Considering an F-mount 24-120mm for those now. They are just $300 second-hand.

Swissblad

I can see this being a very useful all purpose lens for the Z system. The old F mount version was no slouch - but - the S version is clearly in a different league.

Like you, Jørgen - we haven't made the transition yet......too much fun with our current gear ;)

Thorkil

Watching reviews of Z-mount Nikkors has become boring. They are all so good. It's just a question of choosing a focal and aperture range that is suitable. Anyway, here it is, the calmest camera reviewer out there, Ricci and the 24-120:

Unfortunately, it won't mount on my D2Xs or F80. Considering an F-mount 24-120mm for those now. They are just $300 second-hand.
Yes, Riccis reviews are nice to look at. I'm longing for his, hopefully soon coming, more intense 100-400S review.
The 24-120 F-mount is not good at the longer end, where its actually is rather unsharp, as I remember it (still got it)
You have to contribute to the CO2 Exhaust too and get a Z 7/7II/9, to get their native super-sharpness :)
kr thorkil
Yes I would like the Z24-120S too! But instead I'm considering the 100-400S, even though it might be a bit too heavy and long (but my 70-200/4+FTZ+1.4 or 2.0TC is just about the same size and weight though)

Thorkil

PS.....but looking carefully at his pictures, is the 24-120S sharp enough???
I think, I still might be focused at 100-400S instead, but depending on some more reviews (yes I know they are two different worlds, but after the 14-24S (still waiting for the Info-Panel repair) , I can only, as maximum, afford 1 lens more)

Darin Marcus

The F mount 24-120mm f/4 was my most used lens on the D700. However, I was not that happy with it once I moved to the D810, so I replaced it with a few primes.
The Z mount version looks better, as expected :)

Darin Marcus

Edit 12/20...

I got my 24-120 F4 today...I'm truly impressed.

Basically the primary reason I got this lens is for a one lens solution for ski/mountaineering photography on my Z7II in which when I use DX mode at 120mm and then process in Adobe Super Resolution in raw, I end up with essentially a 24-200 F4. How I arrive at this (if needed) is I crop the up rezzed DX image back down to native Z7II dimensions as it goes from 20MP to 77MP when using Super Resolution. Details are outstanding even at F4 when up rezzed from the 120mm setting DX cropped to 180mm. I now have *the* perfect ski/mountaineering lens.

In terms of corner performance, It's better than the 24-70 F4 at either end at F4-7.1-ish and better at the 70mm end at F4 than the 70-200 2.8 S is @F4. The 70-200 2.8S @ 120mm is a fair bit better than the 24-120 from F4 to 6.3 and the 24-70 2.8 is a bit better at either end than the 24-120 at either end at F4-5.6.

Flare resistance, color and contrast is excellent. It feels just like you would imagine, a lens that in terms of size and weight fits squarely in-between the 24-70 F4 and 24-70 F2.8.

I suspect I will keep my 24-70 F4 for video and when I need to go as light as possible. But otherwise, this will be a go to lens for a lot of work in moderate to bright light.

I look forward to seeing the more serious tests as people get this lens, I think it's a winner.
Thank you for reporting your findings - enjoy the lens!