The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

WTB Gitzo GT5543XLS

dj may

The Giant is too big and GT5543LS is too small. I am looking for my Goldilocks GT5543XLS.

akaru

Having owned both, it was a tough call but I kept the Giant. Same size, more flexibility. A little heavier, but the weight is low and likely helps with stability more than anything. Good luck, though. Sometimes they pop up used on B&H etc.

JeffK

I've got the GT5543LS and it's actually worked out well for me. I'm 5'9". I only extend to full height if I've got something to stand on.

dj may

Having owned both, it was a tough call but I kept the Giant. Same size, more flexibility. A little heavier, but the weight is low and likely helps with stability more than anything. Good luck, though. Sometimes they pop up used on B&H etc.
The Giant is available here in Switzerland, but not the XLS. I may have to go with the Giant if I cannot find the XLS.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jesse,

One consideration. When the giant is extended above your head, you need something to stand on to manipulate the camera. My solution - not ideal for many situations, was to go for a shorter (but still tall) tripod and a center column. The 3543XLS with center column can get to 8 feet (a foot shorter than the giant), but I can lower the rig to where I can change settings and then hoist it back up while standing on the ground. This is much easier than shortening all three tripod legs. I know center columns are considered a "bad thing", but it has worked well in "normal" conditions. It's true that extra long tripod legs are useful in other situations - steep slopes, for instance - but the 3543xls has pretty long legs as it is. For sheer stability (telephoto or long exposure) I went with the shorter 3-section 5533L. And actually, if I want height without ultimate stability, I use an 8 foot monopod - MUCH easier to carry.

So my vote (not that THAT matters) is to continue the search for a 5543XLS. Don't get me wrong - the Giant is a magnificent piece of kit. But when I set it up I think "how am I getting up THERE?" (Over the years, I bought it twice and returned it twice.)

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

dj may

Jesse,

One consideration. When the giant is extended above your head, you need something to stand on to manipulate the camera. My solution - not ideal for many situations, was to go for a shorter (but still tall) tripod and a center column. The 3543XLS with center column can get to 8 feet (a foot shorter than the giant), but I can lower the rig to where I can change settings and then hoist it back up while standing on the ground. This is much easier than shortening all three tripod legs. I know center columns are considered a "bad thing", but it has worked well in "normal" conditions. It's true that extra long tripod legs are useful in other situations - steep slopes, for instance - but the 3543xls has pretty long legs as it is. For sheer stability (telephoto or long exposure) I went with the shorter 3-section 5533L. And actually, if I want height without ultimate stability, I use an 8 foot monopod - MUCH easier to carry.

So my vote (not that THAT matters) is to continue the search for a 5543XLS. Don't get me wrong - the Giant is a magnificent piece of kit. But when I set it up I think "how am I getting up THERE?" (Over the years, I bought it twice and returned it twice.)

Best,

Matt
Thank you for the input, Matt.

I do not want to depend on a center column for height. I also do not expect to use the tripod frequently at full height, but maybe one leg at full extension in the rugged terrain that I frequently visit.

So many choices 😉 I welcome the input.

MGrayson

Thank you for the input, Matt.

I do not want to depend on a center column for height. I also do not expect to use the tripod frequently at full height, but maybe one leg at full extension in the rugged terrain that I frequently visit.

So many choices 😉 I welcome the input.
Yes, our use cases are very different, and I didn't think that we'd want the same solutions. I just wanted to offer my perspective. I have NEVER heard a bad word about the Giant from photographers who have used it in the field.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The use case for the giant is typically a single leg needs extension such as on a slope - not that many cases where you would use all three legs at 7ft.

MGrayson

Adorama claims to be shipping new GT5543xls from their eBay site. I bought my 5533ls that way with no problems.

Mexecutioner

I have a Giant, and while certainly not an every day tripod, it is nice to know that if I am potentially going to need that height I can reach for it. I use other smaller ones most of the time though.

GT5543XLS seem like a great size in between the giant and other series 3 systematic ones.

Mexecutioner

Adorama claims to be shipping new GT5543xls from their eBay site. I bought my 5533ls that way with no problems.
This is true, however I would call them and ask before pulling the trigger online. There's been a couple of times I bought from Adorama and the items were not in stock even though the website showed them as available.

MGrayson

This is true, however I would call them and ask before pulling the trigger online. There's been a couple of times I bought from Adorama and the items were not in stock even though the website showed them as available.
Indeed. This is exactly why I used the word "claims".

BTW, having no wind in my living room, I just did the extremely scientific "tap the lens while taking an iPhone video of the magnified LCD" test. To no one's surprise, the 5 series with three leg sections was better than the 3-series with 3 sections extended, but not by much. I think the head had more flex than the tripods. Extending the fourth leg section on the 3, though, made it much floppier. And I had to stand on a chair! We're talking magnified view with a 300mm lens, mind you. That the motion was so small is a testament to the solidity of these beasts. I'm curious about the 4-section 5 series, but not curious enough to add yet another tripod to the "museum". (OTOH, if anyone wants to trade one for a Pentax 67 400/4 ED-IF with case (the good one, not the 400/4 Takumar).... after @dj may gets sorted out, of course.)

For my usual wide angle stuff, I think any of them down to the RRS 1-series would do.

dj may

Indeed. This is exactly why I used the word "claims".

BTW, having no wind in my living room, I just did the extremely scientific "tap the lens while taking an iPhone video of the magnified LCD" test. To no one's surprise, the 5 series with three leg sections was better than the 3-series with 3 sections extended, but not by much. I think the head had more flex than the tripods. Extending the fourth leg section on the 3, though, made it much floppier. And I had to stand on a chair! We're talking magnified view with a 300mm lens, mind you. That the motion was so small is a testament to the solidity of these beasts. I'm curious about the 4-section 5 series, but not curious enough to add yet another tripod to the "museum". (OTOH, if anyone wants to trade one for a Pentax 67 400/4 ED-IF with case (the good one, not the 400/4 Takumar).... after @dj may gets sorted out, of course.)

For my usual wide angle stuff, I think any of them down to the RRS 1-series would do.
If I can get my hands on one, I will let you know. Buying from U.S. supplier is not a good option because of VAT.

JeffK

I’ve actually just listed mine on Craigslist here in Vancouver. Useless to you since it’s so far away.